PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I could see spending big money on an amazing pipe if I had the cash to blow. But not that one. Doesn't do anything for me.
I'd much rather invest that amount into a few really nice classic shape pieces.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
if had that kind of money--in short if I were rich--I would get the ballerina pipe. But not this one. I rather like the Harcourt, however. For pure smoking, however, I prefer traditional shapes for the most part. On the other hand, I never dreamed I would get the Danish style pipes--I thought they were too eccentric--until someone suggested looking at Nording pipes. (I've written about this before.) and I saw a smooth black dress freehand pipe with a panel design, and for some reason was unreasonably attracted to it. I eventually pulled the trigger on it, and it has become one of my favorite pipes that smokes better than my other pipes. So now I have a modest collection of Nordings, in addition to my Petersons. Funny how you discover you prefer pipes that you didn't think you would care for. I thought I would like slender black pipes, but in time I learned that I like the blunt, short billiards (specifically the Peterson 107) and now I'm waiting for a new Dublin Castle that SP is supposed to issue soon. And I'm jumping up and down waiting for the custom pipe that Stephen Downie is making after my design based on the 107. You can be sure that will be posted the day I get it.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Nice design, definitely an art piece. I can buy a LOT of nice pipes and a figurative TON of tobacco for $1700 (actually about 68 lbs. of 1-Q at $1.56/oz). I guess my $17.00 bid was not good enough.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
No only no, but hell no.

My cartoon name is Mr. Natural, and that ain't natural at all.
By the time I clicked on this thread and clicked on the link, the item was no longer for sale.

But I did click on the picture to see more of it...I couldn't see more of it.
But I did see other art pipes for sale.

They made me go WTF, too.

For instance, how are you supposed to smoke those downward pointing horn pipes without starting a fire on your lap?

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
I personally do not like it. while I'm sure it took a long time to finish and it's done well. there's no allure for crazy shaped pipes in my rack

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's far beyond my price range, but if I had huge amounts of discretionary spending, that's not a pipe

I would get for $1,700. Artful carving though.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
I guess it is just a pipe that has its haters and lovers. Every pic I saw I literally said WOAH to out load! Very interesting, insane, and crazy looking pipe. But no, I would not pay that much for it. It would take me months to even save up that much money with the crap job I am at now. Shoot, I can hardly afford tobacco as it is!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Ok

Admittedly, this is not my style of pipe.
However, if you look at the size of this pipe and it only weighs 52 grams? That in itself is amazing. I just can't even imagine the amount of work it took to carve this piece, let alone sand and polish to its state of what looks like perfection
Ok, so it looks to me like the creature from the movie Alien...still, it comes with a matching tamper ( which is pretty cool)
I have no clue who the carver is and his reputation, but i'd say at 1700.00 it ain't too bad
IMHO

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I believe that I have looked at his work in the past. The craftsmanship is incredible. I am attracted to more traditional shapes. At the last pipe show, I spent $55 and $56 on a Savinelli and a Brigham. That is my range for pipes at this stage of life. Also I got great deals.
$1,700 is more than I earn in a week. But I work in mortgages with people who earn FAR more than I do. There are several ways to look at a purchase like this. For some, it is a minor purchase. For others, it is a trophy to show to their peers. Or it could be an investment to sell later. Perhaps it is used to hold onto wealth (while the pipe might go down in value, it won't fall as much as that internet stock with a p/e of 250.) I admit that a condo on the beach would be better example than a pipe, for this reason.
Winton

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
If I could afford that, and I wanted to support the artist, absolutely. But not off the Internet without a solid return policy.

It's a very fragile piece and appears to be a royal PITA to keep clean. Imagine having to wax it every once in a while......

Status
Not open for further replies.