Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of different blends for lots of different folks. While I prefer a Virginia or a VaPer, as it gets colder I find my tastes can be suited for the occasional Latakia. And, sometimes an aromatic, as long as it's not just a light Burley based aro.

Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke.

pipeman84

Lurker
Dec 9, 2016
Lotharen you're right, the box I received my order in stunk of shoe leather and I was thinking: where did the delivery company stored this box over New Year? 8O

Now the drawer were I keep the tobacco smells too, so yeah, it's the Latakia.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Speaking as a mere pipe hobbyist, I have found the best method to smoke a so called "aro" is to douse it in lighter fluid and throw matches at it from a safe distance.

As to latakia, to me the smell is evocative of many things and the taste suggestive of many others.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
That is why I don't take tobacco reviews and recommendations very seriously, especially if everyone is all for one thing, because all tastes (and noses) vary, and that something can be popular to the masses may be as much a strike against it as for it-- you just don't know. I can't tell you how many blends I've sampled because everyone told me it was the Bee's Knee's, only to be disappointed (like 1-Q, RLP-6, BCA). Latakia is a powerful weed and depending on your tastes, just a touch more or less can make all the difference in the world! I love Latakia, when balanced properly; in some cases one blend might call for a lot while another just a pinch, but I would not judge English blends too quickly based on just ONE experience with one balance of Latakia, especially if you are a noob weening your way into the hobby. That is what aromatics are largely for (IMO).

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I've told this anecdote before, but my pipesmoking started in college when, as a cigar smoker, co-eds in class objected to the "stench". I hated cigarettes and refused to start smoking them, but all the co-eds agreed they loved the smell of the pipe so that would be okay. I stopped at the tobacconist by campus with the intention of buying some nice-smelling aro, so I took a whiff of each house blend they had in those giant apothecary jars. The tin note of their house English almost made me retch, and I asked the owner if it smelled as bad lit. He replied, "No. Worse." My evil twin, who was pissed about being coerced into not smoking cigars, convinced me to buy some English and smoke that in class :D
Oddly enough, my wife loves the smell of The Aperitif, which contains enough Lat to be noticeable, although she dislikes the smell of Nightcap. You never can tell.

beehive

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2017
It must be something that grows on you. I recently tried my first blend with Latakia (Peterson Wild Atlantic) and honestly the pouch smelled like old funky boots and it tasted like almost like a cigarette, not what I expected. Half way through the pack its starting to taste more peppery and leathery in a good way, not a "10 year old wet hunting boot" way. Didnt get much of the campfire smell. Maybe because my usual blend before the Peterson was a super smokey dark fired blend from the local B&M so I'm used to it?

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
To each their own, and that's that.
I don't like Latakia, so I don't consume it. Lots of others clearly love it, so everybody wins.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
My first Latakia was Sherlock something or other from Tinder Box. It smelled like weird bacon and bad news. So, I bought it. I've only recently backed off the stuff, but, keep coming back. :)

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I didn't care for the taste of Latakia for a very long time. I was a Va Vaper guy exclusively. I would try one periodically and reject it.
One day maybe 5-6 years ago I picked up a tin of Chelsea Morning and wham! I liked it.
I have since expanded to other heavier Lat blends and I enjoy them all on occasion. I have yet to smoke an Aero that I really like. I don't hate them, they just don't trip my trigger.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Ha! Why the love for English blends? What a stupid question. Why do gentleman prefer blondes? Followed of course by st. Bruno. English blends for gents, Aros for ' brown hatters'.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Yep. Latakia smells and tastes horrible. Wish I had a boxcar full of the nasty stuff! :wink:
Lat smokers get shit for smoking stinky boots. Aro smokers get shit for smoking frou-frou amateur shit. I get shit for smoking Prince Albert and Carter Hall because it's cheap-shit floor sweepings and smells like cigarettes. Va and VaPer smokers get shit for being tobacco snobs who shit on everybody else's choices. Seems like everybody gets their turn in the barrel, doesn't it? 8O

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I think the people who act as if they are too sophisticated to smoke aromatics most likely come from the cigarettes smoking raggy ass masses (RAMS) and/or don't know how to smoke an aromatic.
You know what I think? I think people who make broad generalizations like this are full of baloney. :nana:
To the OP; To each his everlovin' blue-eyed own.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've smoked pipes since the mid-60s, cigarettes a few years longer. There are aros I've enjoyed as well as English and orientals. And, from his simple tastes in tobacco I'm guessing it's not baloney he's full of. Most likely something a bit "earthier."

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
English blends for gents, Aros for ' brown hatters'.
I am never quite sure if simong is pulling our collective leg, being funny, or really has a class structure for tobacco. :puffy:

As to Latakia, it smells wonderful to my nose. Luckily, for those that disagree, there are many other blends out there.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Levels of Lat-Love:
Latakia - it's ok

I like it

I love it

I need it

It's my religion

It's beyond religion

It's my reason to live

It's the reason why the Universe exists!
lol

hp

les

pipeman84

Lurker
Dec 9, 2016
Actually I should correct first post to say I'll stick to pipe tobacco without Latakia.

I smoked yesterday a non-aromatic, Rattray's Old Gowrie and it was good.

P_20170105_143504.jpg

for gentlemen only - how cool is that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.