PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
I started because I worship at the feet of the most iconic pipe smoker ever, Bing Crosby, but soon realized how relaxing it is and now its the only thing that keeps me sane while taking summer college courses. The whole "ritual" thing has made it even more relaxing since to me its like painting the Mona Lisa, you get to create a beautiful piece of art each time you tamp and light; and the outcome is an amazing smoke that I believes constitutes as art.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke because my hero High Hefner smoked a pipe.
I smoke because I am orally fixated and need something in my mouth at all times.
I smoke because chasing the dragon was becoming too expensive and a bit habit forming.
Now the real reason I smoke a pipe is because I love tobacco. I have smoked cigarettes, cigars and pipes at one time or another for 43 years and for complexity of flavors nothing beats a great blend in a great pipe. I used to love my cigars but they do not offer the variety of flavor that a pipe does. Another aspect to smoking a pipe is that there is no cheaper way to enjoy tobacco than a pipe. I also enjoy the fiddling with my pipes and tobacco, the buying of pipes and tobacco and the contemplative nature of smoking a pipe. Pipes are for the discriminating gentleman who exudes style and class and of course chicks dig the pipe.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Now the real reason I smoke a pipe is because I love tobacco.
Well said Harris.
That is as simple a description as it comes - and it's very true for me too. I've smoked for years (first cigarette at age 10). I too just like tobacco. And then of course pipes add an even more enjoyable dimension the the entire experience.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
six, I couldn't imagine a life without tobacco. I grew up with it around me at all times and I have fond memories of people smoking pipes and cigars as I was growing up. For me it is a way of life.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
The number one reason for me is because not very many people do it. I've always preferred the "road less traveled." I'm also fairly nostalgic and maybe a touch eccentric in my tastes and preferences.

lockdown199

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 28, 2013
I've smoked cigars for years and a couple of months ago that changed. Every year I go on a guys trip and this year it was no different except for one thing, we walked into one of the local B+M shops to get cigars for the weekend and I told the guy behind the counter that I was interested in smoking a pipe, after about an hour I left with my first pipe and all the accessories.
Honestly I just really love smoking a pipe.
GB

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
I have no idea. Sometimes I find myself wondering for a brief moment if it is worth dealing with all the current social stigmas around smoking. Then I answer to myself, "absolutely." Pipe smoking doesn't fit in my world at all really. I am an endurance fitness enthusiast. I run 20 miles and bike 20-40 mile a week and have friends that aren't interested in pipe smoking at all. But I just don't care. I have no addiction and can go as long as I like without smoking a pipe.
I started hollowing out segments of vines with my pocket knife and stuffing hollow, dried out vines in the side for stems as a boy of 13 or so and stuffing them with Captain Black for smokes in the woods. I don't know why. My parents were cig smokers, but for some reason, I was drawn to pipes from a very young age. The only thing I can figure is that in some past life, I was an avid pipe smoker and it crossed into this life. :wink:
Honestly, I just don't know why, but I love it. So I go with it.

pdmus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
Kashmir - the Bach quote is amazing! I play thru the Bach Flute Sonatas, the parts from the Cantatas, masses, etc. and keyboards, too - a bit of Bach each day makes a clean working mind! I have read so many books on his life and never read this - thanks so much for posting!

Aug 14, 2012
pdmus: Liked your comment about a bit of Bach every day.

As far as the question "why do you smoke?" Stupid, I guess.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
I started smoking a pipe five years ago, just before my first child was born. There were a number of intertwining reasons for my starting this hobby. Since I was a husband and becoming a dad, I figured there would be fewer and fewer opportunities to get that much needed time alone to regroup and reflect. Pipe smoking became a great way to get out of the house on my own without too many questions being asked. My lovely wife went for it, so I was off like a choo-choo train.
I also had more sentimental reasons. I know that one day I'll leave this earth and I wanted to leave something behind that was special for my kids (since starting this hobby, I now have a son and a daughter). Sure they'll have their memories of dear old dad playing his guitar and singing for them, or sharing the lessons of life all good parents hope to give their children. But I think something magical will happen when my kids sudden walk into a waft of pipe smoke. Maybe they'll feel, if just for a short moment, that I'm right there beside them.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
sam, great post. My sons have shown an interest in my pipes since they were young. My oldest now smokes a pipe on occasion and he can appreciate the artistry in the pipes I own. My youngest son used to clean me and my buddies pipes starting when he was around 5 for a buck a piece. After we were done with a pipe we would hand them to him and he would run some pipe cleaners through them and wipe out the bowls, he thought it was very cool. Now my sons are 18 and 23 and they are my official deep cleaners. Every other week I lay out a bunch of pipes, Everclear, shank brushes, wax, stem oil, pipe cleaners and they do a great job. I will pass down my pipes and whatever tobacco I have left for them and their sons hopefully. I think it is a great tradition to start with your kids. My oldest daughter Gabrielle is an official Pipe Babe on this site and she also likes my pipes. My 11 year old daughter does not mind my pipe smoking at all, and when she is grown, I am sure she will have fond memories of dad's pipes. I think your kids will definitely have some good memories down the road.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Kashmir
Being a former muscian (are they ever 'former'?) I had no idea that Bach smoked pipes. Isn't it just amazing where new important information comes from?
JS Bach is acknowledged, along with Beethoven and Mozart as the most influential composers of all time. Gee, if Bach smoked pipes, how can you not smoke them??
There is a quietness to smoking a pipe I cannot achieve othewise. It is my time alone, or with my friends. It is a thoughtful process and deliberate. Despite the stares I get in the street while smoking, I just love the experience, cleaning, maintaning and all.
What a great way to spend free time.
Allan

cavendish36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
I smoke a pipe because it forces me to take time to sit and contemplate.

Smoking a pipe with friends allows for great conversation that may not otherwise happen.

It's a great way to spend free time.

Status
Not open for further replies.