relaxation

contemplation

the beauty of smoke

camaraderie with other pipe smokers

a way to remember past away family members

a link with a bygone era

a protest against an out of control government

fun

Smoking a pipe also makes me look verrrry cool.

I already looked cool. :)

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
For the flavor, aroma, and it makes me slow down and appreciate life in general.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
Because it's slow, not dependent on an Internet connection, outside the mainstream, unlike anything else I have to do in a day, it's only for me, gives the perfect excuse to sit alone for an hour, pisses the do gooding know-it-alls off and I like it.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I smoke pipes for the ladies lol.
:rofl:
Kashmir - great post on Bach - thanks for sharing.
I think pipe smoking appeals to certain personalities and will never be universally enjoyed by all. For me pipe smoking is the perfect past time. It suits my personality like little else.
First, there's the "ritual" aspect of choosing and filling the pipe. Then there's the actual smoking of it - which is pure pleasure IMO. Overall it's a quiet, calming and reflective past time (but to someone on the outside looking in, it probably looks pretty pointless.)

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Peer Pressure. :P
Seriously, though - I probably would never have considered it if a friend of mine had not taken up pipe smoking almost on a whim last year. Four of us (two couples) were doing a writing retreat over Thanksgiving, and while they were waiting for us to make it up to the cabin, the other couple stopped into a tobacconist's shop in Estes Park. My friend's grandfather had smoked a pipe, so he had some nostalgic memories of pipes and pipe tobacco. As we continued to talk, write, and occasionally hang out on the back porch of the cabin, I realized that the smell was pleasant, and the process of packing, lighting, and smoking seemed relaxing. Our spouses likewise had no objections, so after doing a bunch of research (and finding this forum along the way), I decided that the positives of pipe smoking outweighed the negatives and bought my first pipe.
Then I lost my job. Pipe smoking may well have kept me sane during the process of searching for a new one, and studying for the certification exams that I'd been putting off (but suddenly had time for...). Now that I'm employed again, it's a great way to unwind and make a break between the work week and my weekend "me time".
And, as I discovered after overdosing on caffeine last weekend, having a higher nic blend in the rotation can help me get to sleep after a Dr. Pepper bender. :D

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
I grew up around tobacco all my life , and I love the smell and taste of it.

The pipe is my choice for smoking pipe tobacco only and I have never inhaled . :puffy:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Pipe smoking may well have kept me sane
+1
I took up pipe smoking after we were flooded out of our home - and I credit it with keeping me sane as well. It's something to look forward to when there's little else and it allows your mind to focus on something else beside worrying yourself to death.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
When I was young I remember always enjoying the smell of my Dad's cigars. When I turned 18 he handed me my first cigar, we proceeded to sit and smoke together. Until this past Christmas, I only smoked cigars. After hearing some people's interpretation of the flavors that they got from pipes I decided to try it. Now I enjoy both, mostly for flavor, then for relaxation, and lastly for nicotine.

irishjedi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
I enjoy the ritual of it afterva long day at work. A nice cup of coffee or tea, a nice pipe, the smellof the tobacco...relaxing.

Mike

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
In all honesty it wasnt the smoking aspect of pipes that drew my attention, it was the pipes them shelves. I have a major interest in history all aspects of it and ive been known by my friends and family to be heavy on collecting things not hoarder style just things with a theme i tend to set myself. Two years ago i started bringing back old school trends, I wore Fedoras, carried a Zippo, and had a metal cigarette case. And my wife got me a beautiful antique Navy Captain Pocket watch as a wedding present man i love that watch ill post pics one day. Anyway i wanted to quit smoking because cigs were just killing me both financially and physically (used to hold my breath under water for 4 mins) then i saw a pipe in the smoke shop and said that would be really cool to try so i bought it with some McB Vanilla cream. Slowly as i learned about it through this forum i saw potential to collect pipes and smoke them. A collection i can actually put to use unlike coins that just sit there so it was a win win.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I smoke b/c I enjoy it. Plain and simple as that. I used to smoke coffin nails (about 14yr) and started smoking my pipe again about 6mo ago when the cigs were making me gag. I didn't want to quit b/c I enjoy it too much so I swtiched 'er up for the pipe. I can't stand cigs now. My wife smokes Number7 Blue and they stink so bad sometimes. Like sour tobacco and chemicals that make my nose itch and my eyes sting. She doesn't bitch about my pipe smoke so I return the favor about her stink cigarettes ;) Happy wife, happy life :P

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
I have a question related to the video posted by Kashmir above:
In the contest everyone was puffing often at a rapid pace. I have read other posts that state puffing often can cause the pipe to burn out.
Would the winner of the contest now have a whole in his pipe? It was not shown for the video but it has me curious.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
All the pipes look the same, I would assume they are using a clay pipe provided to them by whoever is hosting the competition.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
So many great men smoked. All of my intellectual mentors, my favorite authors, my spiritual apologists. Some things may or may not be good for your body but are good for your soul.

All that we see is only what one form of energy (light) reveals. Imagine what is possible if we can perceive what all forms of energy can reveal.

Nothing is impossible and a man is his own greatest asset, and endowed with power to create his own world.
Thats why I smoke.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Some things may or may not be good for your body but are good for your soul.

All that we see is only what one form of energy (light) reveals.
Well said locopony.

Status
Not open for further replies.