PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My natural circadian rhythms would put me in bed about 11:30 or 11:45, and up again eight hours later, if I had my choice. I have occasionally gotten a late T.V. habit, but it was never worth it. However, what has always re-set my clock is marriage. I was married to my late wife for about 23 years, and she was a night owl. Ten years after I lost her, I remarried, and my wife is ... a night owl. Are women often night owls? Or do couples get set on different schedules from ancient times to keep the fire in the cave going? So I get to bed too late, and get up too late, but I'm the morning person, and was in my first marriage. I bring in the paper, feed the cats, and take coffee and the paper and later food to my wife. It's pleasant to have some time to wake up before I try to talk much. Up early is a great way to get work done, writing for one example, but I've never been able to schedule that to my life.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I'd like to sleep more than my usual 5-7 h per night but due to my neighbors and the area where I live make this almost impossible, should have bee leaving this place way earlier but have been stuck at this same address for about 12 year now.Yet there is another bad habit of mine which presumably affects on the ability to get a sleep at 10- 11 pm is my bad habit of drinking tea and smoking pipes by the evenings,or at least this is how I was told .

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
I thought it was only me. Been a certified insomniac since I was 15, going on strong 25 years now. I sleep when I can, which is not much at night and sometimes a nap during the day as work schedule permits....that's about it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I love sleep. Always have. Insomnia is a rare event for me, almost always caffeine-induced. If I have any coffee after noontime, I run the risk. Otherwise, my life in Dreamland is a fantastic thing.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
40 years of chronic back pain. Sleep about 2 hours, up sleep about, 2hours up...

Jul 15, 2011
Been working second shift since I was 16 years old, so I've been a night owl for a while. Get home about 11:30, grab a sandwich or a bowl of soup, lay down when the wife goes to bed and nap for about 2 hours, then get up, have a smoke, read the forums, play some Xbox for a while, then have a beer and then it's off to bed, usually about 4 or 5 in the morning. No one's up this time of night around here so there's no one to bother me.

Jul 15, 2011
Just cracked open the aforementioned beer. Won't be up for too much longer. Just took a few puffs off a bowl of Lancer Slices.

Jul 15, 2011
Hey chasingembers, I think you were just starting to make your presence known about the time I dropped off the radar. How do I join the Black Frigate?! I got a few tins that have a few years age on them. Smoked it fresh some years ago and I absolutely love the stuff!

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Skipper beat me to it. }:) The entrance requirements are simple & easy. Jes' start smoking the stuff.
Requirements for *staying* in, now, that's another whole ball game. First you have to get a job on board, & second, you have to be productive enough not to get keelhauled**, but most important is third --you have to be agile enough to avoid Jay using you for target practice with his "little friend"!
** -- The keelhauling isn't that bad .. for me. As chief powder monkey I'm in charge of the pre-keelhaul shakedown. I get anything that falls out of pockets & such.
Hey, a monkey's gotta do what a monkey's gotta do to make his way in the world, & they don't let us out much. }:)

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have insomnia really bad. I lay awake at night worrying about it.
Seriously, I was perpetually exhausted. Finally got medical help.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It's kind of disturbing how many of you guys have insomnia. The occasional sleepless night makes for a painful day...I hate to imagine being in that state chronically.
"When you have insomnia, you're never really asleep, and you're never really awake."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykdmnS-MtXI

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I agree, Brian. I was struck by how many people on here are suffering from insomnia. It begs the question: are insomniacs drawn towards smoking or does smoking cause insomnia in some people?
I know for me that I will frequently have trouble falling asleep if I have smoked a lot at night. But I wouldn't call it insomnia since I sleep just fine if I forego the pipe.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
I’ve always been a night person. Don’t know what it is but I could get 3 hours of sleep and be dog tired at work and when I get home, but as soon as 10 o’clock rolls around I’m wide awake and ready to go. Been that way since I was in High School.
Not such a bad thing to be able to sit in peace on the porch while the neighborhood sleeps and study for my upcoming exams whilst enjoying a pipe and browsing the forums, but sometimes I just want to have normal hours and stop being so sleep deprived :lol:
I probably should start exercising again as I’m sure that would help.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Pipe smoking does not impede my sleep, but all of the coffee that goes with it sometimes does.
In fact, nicotine gives me some crazy dreams and I often smoke a nic heavy blend before bed to induce it. Cheaper than the movies and, often, a better plot!
Why am I up so late? As usual, waiting for SWMBO to unoccupy the bathroom....... :roll:
jay-roger.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
What do you get when you cross insomnia with dyslexia with theology?
Answer: someone who sits up all night wondering if there is a Dog. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.