Who would you commission for a set of two pipes <1K USD (less than)?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I’d agree that you both have fairly traditionally-shaped pipes, with your wife preferring just a bit more flourish than you. Maybe you could comission a pair which were essentially the same, but individualized — a matched pair of distinct, yet complementary pieces. Seems like a fitting symbol. I don’t recall either of you owning a sandblasted pipe. Is that correct?

You asked me a month ago about Sadik Yanik. Now I’m wondering if that question was about this project. Another fellow who comes to mind is Cumhur @cumhurpipes on Instagram. Honestly, his Instagram page isn’t the greatest, but the pipe that I have from him is mindblowing if you are a fan of lattice work, as I am. It is the finest I have ever seen.

There are so many choices of great carvers whose work is fairly priced, the number who are known for their classic shapes is considerably smaller.

Amongst the carvers whose work I know well, Chris Asteriou comes to mind. His range is astounding and his craftsmanship impeccable. I know of no one making better renditions of classic English and Danish shapes today, but he often veers away from classics to more contemporary designs. I think a commission from him could be completed in a manageable period.

Michael Parks, as others have mentioned, is as good as they get. Unfortunately, his commission list is famously lengthy and his pipes would require reaching deeply into your pockets. Definitely the splurge option, but wow, he’s really, really good.

Johannes Gaarn of Suhr Pipes is a young Danish carver who is the grandson of Poul Rasmussen and Anne Julie and who works with Tom Eltang. He’s style seems like a good fit for you as well. Although I’ve never met him, a friend of mine has as says he’s a great fellow. I do not own any of his pipes yet, but have no doubt that they’re extremely well made.

Half-brothers Anders and Martin of Vollmer and Nilsson make WONDERFUL Danish-style pipes, even though they’re Swedish. I think their style would fit you as well. And the pair of them are the nicest two fellows you’ve ever met. True gentlemen.

Among US-based carvers, I know many great ones, but I’ve having just a bit of difficulty thinking of a carver who’s what I perceive as a good fit for you two. Certainly there must be someone. Perhaps Jared Coles? He definitely has a US-flare to his work, but appears to be Danish-influenced. You might have a look at CPCC’s own Jason Patrick. Maybe Jack Howell?

I’ll look forward to seeing whatever you end up with and to visiting you two in your new smoking room!

Goodness, Craig. That's a fantastic amount of consideration. I really appreciate it.

A couple of points:

1. I haven't told her about this and may hold it as a surprise for later, so don't spill the beans!

2. The question Mary had about Yanik was not related. I actually can't use meerschaum pipes so would not commission a set.

3. I think you're right about our "similar but different" tastes in pipes. I wouldn't want to force the hand of any carver - but I could see a set with a Dublin for me and a Lilly for her could be very similar but also very different, with slightly more flair for Mary, as you suggest.

4. A club member would be great and I will look up Mr Patrick. Although it might make communication easier, it could also make secret keeping a little tougher.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
If you want something with stellar grain for under $1,000 for a set I would go with Todd Bannard @sasquatch.

Ryan Alden @lonestar has done amazing work but have seen more of his repairs than his pipes. I don't doubt that he would turn out a couple of amazing pieces.

One of the carvers I’d love to get a pipe from eventually Michail Kyriazanos as he’s done some wonderfull old pipe homages in the style of BBB, Loewe, etc.

Finally, Michael Parks does amazing work but I don't know how far $1,000 goes for getting two pipes from him.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I think Kyriazanos is no longer carving. As for Asteriou and Parks, both are very fine artisans indeed but almost certainly beyond OP’s maximum price point. Per Parks’ website sandblasts, for example, start at $1k each. As Craig mentioned V&N are a great choice and I think could probably meet your budget.

• Sad
Reactions: AroEnglish

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
One of the things I always say to people who are not real experienced in commissioning a custom pipe or pipes is this: Find an artisan whose work you like. I basically do super boring traditional English stuff, billiards. I do like 1 volcano every two years and I feel weird when I'm doing it. So when someone sees a billiard or a Canadian I post on Instagram or a forum or something and comes to me and says "Wow I love your work, will you carve me a reverse-spearfish mohawk triangle skater?" and I just think "Why in the hell are you coming to ME?" And generally I say no because it's going to be a disaster. If I can find a way to make a pipe more boring, I usually will.

I know everyone mentioned in this thread, and they're all great choices, but they'll all be even better choices if you ask them to make something like what they generally make.

There's a milion ways to "match" a set of pipes, from taking two out of one large block, to adding some kind of detail in the stem (I have super rare color plates for that, for example), mammoth bones, whatever, there's just all kinds of ways to make it fun and meaningful. A manly pipe and a girly pipe, whatever.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Otherwise - 4 mentions for Barnard and 3 for Alden makes me think so should reach out to them first.

Thanks everyone, keep the suggestions coming!
Unfortunately, I have no personal knowledge of Mr. Squatch's pipes, other than by reputation. I'm a big fan of Ryan Alden and have four of his pipes, all but one of which were commissioned. But I tend to associate sandblasted pipes with him, so I didn't mention him.

If course, both Todd and Ryan are members of this forum, which might tip the scales, but that certainly shouldn't be regarded as a negative in any way. On the contrary, it suggests they'll actually communicate with you, which is essential for a successful commission.

And no worries, Lucky, your secret is safe with me.

Last edited:
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I think Kyriazanos is no longer carving. As for Asteriou and Parks, both are very fine artisans indeed but almost certainly beyond OP’s maximum price point. Per Parks’ website sandblasts, for example, start at $1k each. As Craig mentioned V&N are a great choice and I think could probably meet your budget.
After reading through the earlier comments, I see that you're correct Jon. Lucky's target is below $1k rather than above. So, almost all of my recommendations were a bit too $$$, including Vollmer & Nilsson, especially for a smooth pipe. They're probably more in the $600-$800/pipe range. Chris Asteriou around $900. Michael Parks..well....

Jason Patrick is still a possibility price-wise. Another name that comes to mind is Adam Sheehan of Carmette Pipes.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
What most commissionERS don't understand:

The last thing you want to do is get all specification-y. Exact size, weight, color, shank angle, and on and on. Horror of horrors is to insist on a carver following a blueprint-type drawing.

For too many reasons to list it's a quicksand pit for everyone involved. (And you can be assured any carver who agrees to such a thing has never done it before.)

By far the best way to commission a pipe is to find a carver whose stuff you like in general, track down as many of their specimens online as possible, and if a couple of those come close to triggering the Buy Urge, tweak them until you are completely satisfied.

i.e. --- "Mr. Articarver, could you make another like this one but make it a bit larger, have a fishtail instead of straight button, stained dark instead of left natural, and sandblasted instead of smooth?"

Etcetera.

That way both sides agree on something that is both reasonable and possible and will almost certainly result in smiles all around when the project is finished.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Adding another recommendation for Ryan Alden. He recently completed an "author" shape for me based on basic shape, a desired shank angle and sandblast finish. Otherwise, I green lighted him for his talent and turned him loose. It was an amazing result and probably the finest pipe I own.

Search some of the threads here and I'm sure you'll find some images.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Under a little subterfuge, I asked for us each to pick our three favorite pipes from our modest collections. No particular criteria (most recent, most reached for, most expensive, best with current preferred blend, etc) .

Mine are on the left. Clearly a fan of red to red-brown, quarter bent, englishy-danishy
, smooths. Hers on on the right and she picked somewhat on sentiment. The spigot and the bulldog are very comfortable to hold or clench and remind her of the context of their purchase. The rusticated straight billiard was her grandfathers. Which is very sweet, but probably should not be considered as a model for this project.

Attachments

• IMG_20230814_200950011.jpg
    IMG_20230814_200950011.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 30

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Under a little subterfuge, I asked for us each to pick our three favorite pipes from our modest collections. No particular criteria (most recent, most reached for, most expensive, best with current preferred blend, etc) .

Mine are on the left. Clearly a fan of red to red-brown, quarter bent, englishy-danishy
, smooths. Hers on on the right and she picked somewhat on sentiment. The spigot and the bulldog are very comfortable to hold or clench and remind her of the context of their purchase. The rusticated straight billiard was her grandfathers. Which is very sweet, but probably should not be considered as a model for this project.
You guys are so cool! How did you guys get into pipe smoking?

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
What most commissionERS don't understand:

The last thing you want to do is get all specification-y. Exact size, weight, color, shank angle, and on and on. Horror of horrors is to insist on a carver following a blueprint-type drawing.

For too many reasons to list it's a quicksand pit for everyone involved. (And you can be assured any carver who agrees to such a thing has never done it before.)

By far the best way to commission a pipe is to find a carver whose stuff you like in general, track down as many of their specimens online as possible, and if a couple of those come close to triggering the Buy Urge, tweak them until you are completely satisfied.

i.e. --- "Mr. Articarver, could you make another like this one but make it a bit larger, have a fishtail instead of straight button, stained dark instead of left natural, and sandblasted instead of smooth?"

Etcetera.

That way both sides agree on something that is both reasonable and possible and will almost certainly result in smiles all around when the project is finished.
Mr. Artcarver is a dick anyway.

Mar 1, 2014
My experience with commissions is about 50/50.
I have had some turn out amazing and some go dead in the water.
I've heard the advice "never pay in advance" but I still managed to buy a bunch of materials for a pipe that ended up never being finished. I wish Churchwardens weren't such a novelty.

• Sad
Status
Not open for further replies.