Who would you commission for a set of two pipes <1K USD (less than)?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
My wife and I both smoke pipes and we will be starting construction of a house next year that will feature a pipe display and smoking area. I think it would be cool to commission a carver to make a set of two pipes that are in some perceivable way 'of a kind'. Whether that's shape, finish, accent, physical nesting, same ebuchon, etc - I will leave up to the carver.

I can provide pictures of our current pipes (about a dozen each and pretty standard stuff) to give the carver a sense of what shapes, finishes, and sizes we've been attracted to in the past as a starting point. Because of the upcoming house build, I don't think it would be responsible to spend more than five hundred per pipe.

I have never purchased a artisan-carved pipe direct, let alone commissioned one. As such I have no previous relationships to build on here. So I am throwing it out to you all to gather some suggestions of whom you think I should contact for this somewhat specific request.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
For ease of communication and timely shipping I'll stick to the Americas.

Scottie Piersel would be on my list.
I'd be hard pressed not to include Todd Bannard.
Ryan Alden does fantastic work.

If you dig his style, Gus Cunha (MarTelo) can bring some dreamy pipe dreams to life.

You couldn't go wrong with just about any well known carver though.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
I’m getting mine done by Eldritch Pipes in UK. Check him out. He’s going to make a “Sleek Bulldog” for me.
His Acorn is his most popular shape followed by Strawberry. He has such imagination and attention to detail. Check him out if you’re inclined.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I don't think it would be responsible to spend more than five hundred per pipe.

Probably true, but when did somebody make responsible a criterion? If I’d known that a decade or two ago I’d have saved a ton of money.

For ease of communication and timely shipping I'll stick to the Americas.

Although there are exceptions on balance I think that’s good advice.

As for candidates to carve your pipes even with sandblasts it might be a little tough to meet your price point with a Piersel or MarTelo. Ryan could do it and he makes very fine pipes. Jack Howell could too but I’m not sure if he has time to take commissions nowadays. If you have the opportunity to attend a show that’s an ideal place to see who’s out there, what they do, and what they charge.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Probably true, but when did somebody make responsible a criterion? If I’d known that a decade or two ago I’d have saved a ton of money.

Although there are exceptions on balance I think that’s good advice.

As for candidates to carve your pipes even with sandblasts it might be a little tough to meet your price point with a Piersel or MarTelo. Ryan could do it and he makes very fine pipes. Jack Howell could too but I’m not sure if he has time to take commissions nowadays. If you have the opportunity to attend a show that’s an ideal place to see who’s out there, what they do, and what they charge.
As of 14 months ago Jack Howell assured me I was on "the list" and we'd agreed on a shape, then got a nice email in November indicating he was busy but didn't exactly say whether that meant no pipe or pipe delayed so I emailed right back and said either way was fine, totally up to him and his schedule but would like to know which, and . . . no response, so I moved on and that led me to Doug Finlay (have had the two Xmas commissions from J. Everett that are great as well) and very happy with Doug's communication/turnaround but more importantly the quality of the pipes. Great guy. Nothing against Howell, but there seems to be little reason to suggest anyone expect him to be making a pipe the past year or more or now.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Thanks for the suggestions, fellas. No consensus candidate yet it seems, but lots of research for me to do.

I've hampered my ability to look into/contact some of these folks by not having any social media accounts, but I'll definitely look at what I can and see if theres an obvious choice.

Englomatic

Lurker
Jun 18, 2020
Central Virginia
As of 14 months ago Jack Howell assured me I was on "the list" and we'd agreed on a shape, then got a nice email in November indicating he was busy but didn't exactly say whether that meant no pipe or pipe delayed so I emailed right back and said either way was fine, totally up to him and his schedule but would like to know which, and . . . no response, so I moved on and that led me to Doug Finlay (have had the two Xmas commissions from J. Everett that are great as well) and very happy with Doug's communication/turnaround but more importantly the quality of the pipes. Great guy. Nothing against Howell, but there seems to be little reason to suggest anyone expect him to be making a pipe the past year or more or now.
I was on "the list" a little longer than you and got mine last week (10x better than what I envisioned). Don't give up if you are on "the list." I doubt he is taking new commissions, but I think he will take care of his list.

Milverton1868

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2023
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Thanks for the suggestions, fellas. No consensus candidate yet it seems, but lots of research for me to do.

I've hampered my ability to look into/contact some of these folks by not having any social media accounts, but I'll definitely look at what I can and see if theres an obvious choice.
Todd Bannard is a forum member @sasquatch...just saying.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I was on "the list" a little longer than you and got mine last week (10x better than what I envisioned). Don't give up if you are on "the list." I doubt he is taking new commissions, but I think he will take care of his list.
If he does that will be a welcome and pleasant surprise, but having asked in November for clarification and no response and nothing in the intervening months I have no reason to be optimistic, lol. Pretty easy to send an email.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I’d agree that you both have fairly traditionally-shaped pipes, with your wife preferring just a bit more flourish than you. Maybe you could comission a pair which were essentially the same, but individualized — a matched pair of distinct, yet complementary pieces. Seems like a fitting symbol. I don’t recall either of you owning a sandblasted pipe. Is that correct?

You asked me a month ago about Sadik Yanik. Now I’m wondering if that question was about this project. Another fellow who comes to mind is Cumhur @cumhurpipes on Instagram. Honestly, his Instagram page isn’t the greatest, but the pipe that I have from him is mindblowing if you are a fan of lattice work, as I am. It is the finest I have ever seen.

There are so many choices of great carvers whose work is fairly priced, the number who are known for their classic shapes is considerably smaller.

Amongst the carvers whose work I know well, Chris Asteriou comes to mind. His range is astounding and his craftsmanship impeccable. I know of no one making better renditions of classic English and Danish shapes today, but he often veers away from classics to more contemporary designs. I think a commission from him could be completed in a manageable period.

Michael Parks, as others have mentioned, is as good as they get. Unfortunately, his commission list is famously lengthy and his pipes would require reaching deeply into your pockets. Definitely the splurge option, but wow, he’s really, really good.

Johannes Gaarn of Suhr Pipes is a young Danish carver who is the grandson of Poul Rasmussen and Anne Julie and who works with Tom Eltang. He’s style seems like a good fit for you as well. Although I’ve never met him, a friend of mine has as says he’s a great fellow. I do not own any of his pipes yet, but have no doubt that they’re extremely well made.

Half-brothers Anders and Martin of Vollmer and Nilsson make WONDERFUL Danish-style pipes, even though they’re Swedish. I think their style would fit you as well. And the pair of them are the nicest two fellows you’ve ever met. True gentlemen.

Among US-based carvers, I know many great ones, but I’ve having just a bit of difficulty thinking of a carver who’s what I perceive as a good fit for you two. Certainly there must be someone. Perhaps Jared Coles? He definitely has a US-flare to his work, but appears to be Danish-influenced. You might have a look at CPCC’s own Jason Patrick. Maybe Jack Howell?

I’ll look forward to seeing whatever you end up with and to visiting you two in your new smoking room!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Home building is a noble challenge ... that I've never done. But the challenges of it are infamous ... delays, re-dos, failure of contractors to fulfill clear face-to-face instructions, and so on. All of which spells cost overruns.

You may have calculated all of this into your thinking, but if it were me, I'd delay the celebratory advance purchase of commissioned pipes and take that time to study pipe carvers so you eventually get exactly what you want and don't regret the timing of your purchase. Also, moving is a perilous time and things get lost and stolen. I'd hold your fire.

Reactions: ThermionicScott
Status
Not open for further replies.