PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I've been taking TIME magazine out with me on occasion when I have a pipe. Haven't been smoking much lately, the issues are piling up faster than I can read them. I've been doing alot of running, and don't always feel like having a pipe. Today was different. Ran almost 5mi today, and really felt like having a pipe

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
I'm currently in the middle of reading the complete works of Mark Twain ... I've read much of his stuff before, but am reading those again in addition to the many I'd not read before ...
I recently completed the Complete Sherlock Holmes (again) and have read as many various stories on Holmes written by other authors as I can find as well. Surprising how many of those there are out there.
Reading and smoking my pipe go together so well ... reading tends to help regulate me to a slower puffing pace, which is a good thing ... when I watch TV, which I also often do, there's a bit of a tendency to puff too fast. Dunno what it is about TV that triggers me that way ...

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I read all the time, whether I'm smoking or not. Kindle is ok, but some things I don't like. No page numbers, if you want to flip back to another part of the book, it's almost impossible. And paper feels better to me. But it is handy for travel, and can hold a lot of books.

Right now I'm reading this forum, while drinking a Guinness, and smoking an old Mertonian Supreme lovat. What's a Mertonian, you ask? Hell if I know, I bought it at Gary's Pipe Shop in Santa Monica about 25 years ago. If someone knows what it is let me know. Made in London England, that's all the info I have. It does smoke nice though for a short pipe. Tomorrow, I'll go back to reading about the history of Kodak, and some more stories by Phillip K. Dick.

hunterwold1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Being Canadian I read my Kobo e-reader. I have been reading the latest biography of C. S. Lewis by Alistair McGrath while smoking English blends in my pipe. Sometimes when I receive my Wooden Boat or Watercraft magazines I peruse them while puffing on Brigham's 'Mr. B's Yacht Club'. That is about to end with the onset of inclement weather. My reading and smoking sessions will start again as soon as weather permits.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
I read, or I'm on the interwebz (on this forum), or I'm on the laptop doing work (answering some of the hundred emails I get every day or writing a report or working up data). I rarely just sit and smoke. About the only time I do that is when I'm doing chores and take a 10 minute smoke break.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I like to read while smoking my pipe, but lately I've been writing instead - especially now that it's National Novel Writing Month. I'm way behind at this point, but I may have figured out a motivational tool - if I ever do finish a project, I'll buy myself a Savinelli "author"... :D

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I read in the morning on my days off and smoke. It is the only time of day where I have enough peace and quiet to grind some coffee beans, pack a pipe, grab my Kindle (I'm a convert, it is so damn convenient) and plow into the same book I've probably been reading for the last four months. I've been stuck on Bram Stoker's Dracula since September, 86% done now - thanks Kindle. With the seasons changing, it is going to be harder to sit on the patio at 8 AM when it is shady and 30 degrees for a smoke and a read.
Over the summer I spent many hours outside reading JR Tolkien's Return of the King
Not sure what I am going to read next, but I'm sure glad this semester is over so I can get back to reading non-textbooks.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Personally, I only read about half of the time. The other half I'm trying out a new blend and want to give it my full attention or am deep in thought. I am currently on the second or third to last book in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series so I seem to be reading more and more as I get closer to the end.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
All the time. Quite often I will start reading a Maigret novel, and decide to light up right about when the chief inspector does.

Status
Not open for further replies.