PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgillespie1

Lurker
Nov 12, 2013
Pruss that is the version I just finished he is a very good narrator be sure to listen to the part after the end on the history ofhobbits it's good

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
1391885_10101328059055856_366353371_n.jpg

Right now i am reading The Hobbit, for the 3rd time i beleive...
Reading the Hobbit again as well... getting ready for Dec 14th!

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
I read these forums while smoking haha. Or I do homework. I haven't had much free time to read, though.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
"Dead-tree" books and the Kindle do indeed get a workout when smoking. Manuals that are heavy graphics are read on the iPad.
All you folks that do not utilize an e-reader are missing out. This is especially true when traveling. I load a months worth of books when going abroad. While I miss the smell of the ink and tactile feel of turning a page, I do not miss the bulk and weight in my bags.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
I may be in a minority here but I rarely read and smoke. I do have a kindle fire HD and read a lot but it is unusual for me to combine them both. I prefer radio, TV or silence. I tend to drift away into my own world when smoking my pipe and find concentrating on one thing hard. Now walking the dog and smoking I love. Especially in the colder days. Not sure why.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
Oh Cosmic just persuaded me to purchase the Hangman's Daughter been looking at that one for a while.

For me, actively decoding the symbols into words while reading actually gets me closer to the story. Passively listening to someone read aloud doesn't give me that "being there" feeling.
Also, it's interesting that whenever reading comes up, so many pipe smokers happen to be reading something by Tolkien. That's cool. CS Lewis is probably rolling over in his grave saying, "I should have made the Pevensie kids all pipe smokers." :D

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
I used to read a lot. Now I prefer to cruise the forum or look at all those beautiful estate pipes I will never own on ebay while I enjoy sipping a Crown Royal on the rocks. To each their own.

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
Love reading while smoking my pipe, goes together well.

I also have a Kindle, and one thing I like besides the BIG print option is you can find free books for it.

chervokas

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2013
My evening downtime regularly consists of repairing to the front porch with a pipe or a cigar and a book, and, in baseball season, perhaps a game turned low on the radio.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I use the Kindle reader in my Samsung Galaxy and am totally spoiled. I can no longer read a regular book because the lighting is so much better and I can increase the font. I also love being able to download a new book in seconds and not bothering with the library or book stores. I go through stretches when I will read for a few months, read everything my favorite authors have written, then take a few months off waiting for them to catch up and produce more books. If I am not reading a book, I am reading the forums and other web sites so I am always reading something when I smoke my pipes.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I usually just think/meditate while smoking but I often read my Kindle. It might sound like heresy for an English scholar to have a Kindle, and I felt a little guilty about it at first, but when you consider you can have the equivalent of an entire library in one hand, well, that made the decision for me. And it is frankly easier to read.

politicalmonster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
When I smoke, I'm almost always reading if I'm not writing. Lately it has been more of the latter, and I need to catch up on my reading. (On a Kindle, as well!)

-PM

May 31, 2012
Did Cornell & Diehl name their tobacco after the book?
Yep,

HB is a Bob Runowski blend.

He was a Morley fanatic,

C&D also makes his blend, Morley's Best.
He posted on the pipe forums as Morleysson and some of his old posts are preserved, very much worth reading!
I wish I would had met him, not only is he known as the Lord of Burley,

but he also sometimes used Allen Ginsberg as his avatar!

My kind of guy!
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-news/broken-pipe-bob-runowski/
I've been trying to hunt down a can of Blur Boar to smoke in his honor,

he rated it highly.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I love reading while I smoke, I prefer more of a mystery then anything else. Which if you love mystery you're going to love Sir Aurthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and if one were to like Sherlock Holmes then they would also have to like Edgar Allan Poe's C. Auguste Dupin. He is essentially the same character as our beloved Holmes however Doyle realized a dectective that used deductive reasoning would be far more effective then one who solely used Inductive Reasoning.
I also very much enjoy The Lord of The Rings and Hobbit books. Harry Potter is another series I like to read whilst smoking.
Then I also will read anything my great grandfather gives me, he has expanded my library by hundreds of books. Everytime I see him he gives me more books :) some of my favorites he gives me are autobiographies and biographies, he also however brings me Westerns and Historical books which I also treasure. I will read just about anything and everything.
I also like to watch movies whilst smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.