PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
As stated how do you pair Virginias, vapers, burley, dark fired k, orient, latakia , aros?

I hope for an inspiring great discussion.

Reactions: FLDRD

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I don't.
I often have adult beverages in association, but no pairing. And in fact, some of those stronger beverages will actually diminish the tobacco profile, I've found for myself.
I found that coffee, teas, and lighter drinks like a white wine will "pair" better, but no specifics here.
However, based on some other threads from tea aficionados and similar, you'll likely get some good input.
Cheers.

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
To me, any quality beer or liquor enhances both the flavor and enjoyment of tobacco. Alcohol and tobacco is a classic pair for a reason. Also, coffee or tea are a just as great pairing with a pipe, but for in the morning. I try not to over think it and go with whatever I'm in the mood for.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
You could get many different opinions on this one. And since everyone's tastes are different, I can only speak for myself:

Burley - ABF/Pegasus/HH Burley Flake - coffee
Light latakia - Chelsea Morning/EMP - coffee
Heavier latakia - Quiet Nights/Pirate Kake - coffee/Pepsi (when in a soda mood)/bourbon/stouts
Va/VaPer - Peterson Flake/LTF/CRF 2023/Rattray's OG - water/iced tea/any type of pilsner beer, but really love Summer Shandy with these
Aromatics - coffee/water

That said, water works for all.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
No matter what I am smoking, it's always paired with black coffee (or water if it's after 7 pm).

Though I never understood any of that pairing, even with food, and I've had legit 5-star restaurant food before. I can't even stand beer with burgers. To me, nothing "pairs well" with anything else, not that stuff is bad with other stuff. I also hate wine. I also have a decently sophisticated palate.

But I have never found any food or drink experience to be enhanced by a particular pairing of the other. Now obviously some stuff just doesn't go together, like scones and cake donuts pair well with coffee, but wouldn't pair well with like wine or something. But beyond trying to pair some off-the-wall stuff together, I think a lot of that pairing stuff is nonsense at least with regard to "enhancing the experience"—either the two are fine together or they're bad together, but neither enhanced by the other. I find the same to be true with tobacco.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
As stated how do you pair Virginias, vapers, burley, dark fired k, orient, latakia , aros?

To my taste & as I mainly smoke Burley, Virginias & VaPers…☕️ has always been a very tasty combination & is my main drink of choice . However, in the warmer months I do like pairing the 🍂 with either an iced tea with lots of 🍋 & sugar OR I’m partial to Arizona Green Tea w/ 🍯.

Reactions: JOHN72 and wernerat

EddyTee

Lurker
Dec 11, 2023

I pair coffee with cream with Peterson EMP and Standard Mix in the morning. Light beer or tea with Country Lawyer, Nightcap, 965 and Quiet Nights.

Dudditz

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey
This is one of those no wrong or right answer posts...so for me:
Burley: Any Beer or Stout
English/Oriental: Whiskey/Whisky/Scotch
Virginia: Tea/Coffee
Aromatic: Toss Up

Best answer...Light a bowl...drink something. If it tastes great together...that's a winner! If it doesn't, that's a learning experience.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Since I've quit booze it's Coffe (and espresso), tea, and water. Different teas and different roasts per blend, for me at least. A medium roast with burleys, anaerobic with VaPers, straight VA's I prefer a tea with - milk Oolong, puerh, black, chai, etc...
Water with anything with a top note. If the top note is like a chocolate or something, I'll do a coffee or milk basic espresso drink.
I don't put any thought into it really. All I drink is coffee/espressi, tea, and water (and sparkling water). I just pick what I'm in the mood for, both drink and smoke. Clean light roast is my go to that pairs with everything. Always an enjoyable pairing.

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
Seltzer or coffee in the afternoon, tea in the evening during cold months. I love my beer and I love my pipe, just not together.

Reactions: JOHN72 and wernerat