PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I never went from one type to another myself. Since the beginning, I smoked all blend types. I find that jumps in style at least every other bowl helps to keep everything tasting new by contrast, and helps prevent getting burned out on a type or flavor. I'd actually suggest trying ALL styles randomly, rather than switching to one genre exclusively for a while before switching again.

There's no real logical progression from one type to another, and I never understood that whole thing of starting with one type first, then another, beyond I get why new people often start with aromatics first (lured by the appealing scents), even though English and burley blends are often what is recommended for beginners, and I guess I get why that too (VA takes a little more care to avoid getting too hot, and aros to a degree too, burley and English being most forgiving of poor technique).

They all have their nuances. If you like sweeter flavors and want to try a VA, I can't recommend Savinelli Brunello Flake enough. It's not going to be overtly sweet, but would make a decent transition from aros to VAs. Another one I might recommend here is Peter Stokebbye Luxury Navy Flake.

If you want to try a Burley based, maybe Mac Baren Navy Flake or C&D Old Joe Krantz (original brown label).

For English, maybe Drucquer & Sons Merry Monk or Peterson Early Morning Pipe.

I'd actually recommend both recs of each of the above because it will start to give you some sense of some the range of those genres, each of the two I picked for each genre are quite different from one another. But, they're also not polar opposites, so don't think one vs the other is a linear, one-dimensional line where everything else falls somewhere in between. All of those are also very easily obtainable.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
When you start stepping out past aromatics I think the best thing you can do is try some iconic and well known blends in the other main styles: Virginia, Burley, and English. Everyone's tastes are different and while Virginia blends might be the most popular you may find that you're more of a Burley or English blend fan!

There's lots of options to choose from, hundreds if not thousands, but if I could recommend just one iconic blend to give you a good general idea of what each style of tobacco is about I'd go with...

Virginia: Orlik Golden Sliced
Burley: Cornell & Diehl Haunted Bookshop
English: Peterson Early Morning Pipe

None of them are subtle blends and the flavors in them should all be easy to recognize and (hopefully) enjoy for both new and experienced pipe smokers alike. Orlik Golden Sliced will introduce you to the bright grassy tea-like flavors of Virginia tobaccos and their natural sweetness, Haunted Bookshop will give you all the dark earthy savory flavors and higher nicotine content that Burley is known for, and Early Morning Pipe will provide you with a good taste of the smokey campfirey flavors of Latakia and the sour tang of Oriental tobaccos that make English blends work so well.

Those are just my recommendations though, so if you'd like to see what other people's thoughts on the matter are then here's a great thread that should provide you with lots of blends for consideration: Top Three (YMMV) :: Pipe Tobacco Discussion - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/top-three-ymmv.89501/
I agree with this but would add just go with your gut. Look at the blends read about them and when you either think sounds great or interesting get that blend.

mdyer909

Lurker
Apr 13, 2024
I agree with this but would add just go with your gut. Look at the blends read about them and when you either think sounds great or interesting get that blend.
I’m smoking Brunello flake right now and have been greatly enjoying it. Orlick Golden slices was my favorite back a few years ago. I used to like Edgeworth which I think was a burley. Cube cut. Can you think of any replacements for that?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Aromatics get a bad name here, for the most part. A little light aromatic topping that doesn't goop up and maybe even spices the flavor some is not a bad thing. If you are tobacco curious, you'll try everything you possibly can within your budget and schedule.

Sutliff has basically anything you could want in bulks. Most tinned tobacco appeals more to the eye than the palate, in comparison. Many blends are not available in bulk and as companies experience changes in management due to various circumstances, so do their iconic blends.

Your palate too, will experience changes, if I'm typical of pipe smokers. I find I'm enjoying the flavor of my pipes more lately than ever. I enjoy all sorts of blends and varietals.

Long story short, this is a fun exercise in giving advice to someone who doesn't need any. You've already tasted one of the least aromatic (if not somewhat flowery) and iconic burleys in you little Japanese pipe. Step it up and go for it!

Reactions: JOHN72

johnnyflake

Might Stick Around
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
I will suggest you try a few lite to medium strength English blends and a few Burley blends.
Walnut is a great medium strength English blend as are the GL Pease Frog Morton Series. As far as Burley blends, Boswell Premium Burley is a good as it gets.

dingdong

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2024
Jakarta, Indonesia
I found myself more into Virginias - C&D Virginia Gentlemen & Sun Bear, a little bit of 4th Gen, Peterson Irish Cask, some MacBaren, and Sansepulcro. tried some english blends as well - Ashton Artisan, SG Plume Cake, and SG Bob's Chocolate & BBF. But generally i prefer American Virginias, and not particularly flakes.

Reactions: JOHN72 and Chalaw87

BingBong

Might Stick Around
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
You might like "halfway house" blends like University Flake, Erinmore Flake, or Gawith Ennerdale which, for all the flavoring, give a fairly rich experience of the underlying virginia and/or burley, imho, which most aros seem to hide as much as they can (in my limited experience of them).

Then Mac Baren HH Latakia Flake ;-)

Or St. Bruno

BriarsAndBottles

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
Before Warner brothers threatened to sue them, The Country Squire used to sell a Tolkien inspired sample pack for sale on the anniversary of his birthday. They’ve changed the names but I’m sure you could call (which I recommend doing in general because they are awesome over there) and see what was in it. But it was a great mix of some delicious aromatics, a straight VA, a VA/KY, and a Scottish/English blend.

aronhoustongy

Lurker
May 4, 2024
Aromatics get a bad name here, for the most part. A little light aromatic topping that doesn't goop up and maybe even spices the flavor some is not a bad thing. If you are tobacco curious, you'll try everything you possibly can within your budget and schedule.

Sutliff has basically anything you could want in bulks. Most tinned tobacco appeals more to the eye than the palate, in comparison. Many blends are not available in bulk and as companies experience changes in management due to various circumstances, so do their iconic blends.

Your palate too, will experience changes, if I'm typical of pipe smokers. I find I'm enjoying the flavor of my pipes more lately than ever. I enjoy all sorts of blends and varietals.

Long story short, this is a fun exercise in giving advice to someone who doesn't need any. You've already tasted one of the least aromatic (if not somewhat flowery) and iconic burleys in you little Japanese pipe topfollowapkapp. Step it up and go for it!
Once you've explored the world of aromatics, the natural next step is to delve deeper into the realm of fragrance composition. Building upon your understanding of individual aromatic notes, you can start experimenting with blending them together to create unique scent profiles. Whether you're interested in perfumery, aromatherapy, or simply enhancing your living space with personalized scents, there's endless potential for creativity and exploration. Consider studying the art of fragrance layering, learning about the different scent families, and experimenting with ratios to achieve the perfect balance. Additionally, exploring the cultural and historical significance of various fragrances can deepen your appreciation for this sensory art form. As you continue your olfactory journey, you'll unlock new possibilities for self-expression and sensory delight.