PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I think the limit is the one you set for yourself. I regret I didn't buy more as it is quite hard to get the tobacco I want; I can't mailorder anymore and the tobacco I like is generally not available in stores in the Netherlands (most I bought in Germany).
Hey Dan, haven't seen you around in a bit, at least on the threads I peruse. Hello again.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I think the limit is the one you set for yourself. I regret I didn't buy more as it is quite hard to get the tobacco I want; I can't mailorder anymore and the tobacco I like is generally not available in stores in the Netherlands (most I bought in Germany).
You can always order from the online vedors in Germany&Belgium ,yet to my knowledge Netherlands have quite wide array of various blends available ,especially those domestic ones

Reactions: JOHN72

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
Last year I calculated that I probably had more tins than I would ever smoke. All together over just a couple of years it became excessive, and when some financial concerns came knocking I reduced things down a ton.

Now I am just keeping a small stock and will only buy to replace, or grab things that are hard to find. As a bonus I distributed some harder to find stuff to people who were searching for it and that pleased me. :)

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Last year I calculated that I probably had more tins than I would ever smoke. All together over just a couple of years it became excessive, and when some financial concerns came knocking I reduced things down a ton.

Now I am just keeping a small stock and will only buy to replace, or grab things that are hard to find. As a bonus I distributed some harder to find stuff to people who were searching for it and that pleased me. :)
Sounds like a good system. I have my few unicorn blends I'm hunting, see about me; I'm mostly only buying those until I use* up some of my tins.

Last edited:
Reactions: coys

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I don't smoke much. What I have will be enough for about 2-3 years. My goal is to have no cellar, just buy the tobacco I smoke at a time, 3-4 tins (or pouches), and when something is over buy something new.
Interesting philosophy. I do enjoy having a bit of a center seller. It's less than I thought when I counted. Maybe 50 tins total.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
I don't draw a line when it comes to Virginia blends. If I purchase more than I can smoke in the next few years, I'm fine with that as I appreciate how they age.
But I do limit my purchaes when it comes to Burley and English blend as I prefer them within 1 to 3 years in the cellar.
I realize that this might not adequately insulate me from future legislation restrictions or taxation increases. But I have had a few older English blends, the oldest being 17 years, and I found that I prefer them a bit younger.

sean.

Lurker
Feb 6, 2024
New England
I don't draw a line when it comes to Virginia blends. If I purchase more than I can smoke in the next few years, I'm fine with that as I appreciate how they age.
But I do limit my purchaes when it comes to Burley and English blend as I prefer them within 1 to 3 years in the cellar.
I realize that this might not adequately insulate me from future legislation restrictions or taxation increases. But I have had a few older English blends, the oldest being 17 years, and I found that I prefer them a bit younger.
I've founds burleys to age well. It doesn't change for the better as much as Virginia does, but the quality of the leaf certainly doesn't decline either.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Now that I think of it, isn't this merely a logistical issue?

How much you can cellar will be determined by three factors:

Budget
Space
Frequency of your smoking

So, let's say a 50g tin lasts you roughly 25 smokes (i.e. 2g per smoke). Now, let's say you smoke an average of four times a day. At that rate, a 50g tin would last 6 or 7 days. From there, it's just a matter of how much you are willing to spend, and how much physical space you can devote to storage.

That's really it. There may be other factors, but those are the three every smoker who wishes to cellar must solve.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
There is no line unless you imagine there is one.

I have enough in my cellar to last me 5, if not 10, lifetimes at the rate I smoke yet there a people that could burn through it in a number of years at the rate they smoke.

Though it could sound like I may have crossed a line for my needs I have not. At any given moment I can open any number of blends I enjoy based on meer whim which is the reason my cellar exists.

When I'm gone, my wife and/or daughter can throw away, give away, or sell what remains of my cellar.

Reactions: Sigmund and JOHN72