PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Edit title. Original: "Where to draw the line - my cellular may be too full."

Hello!

This is more of a person to person opinion question: how often do you smoke compared to your stash?

I smoke about twice a month, but have accumulated about 90 tins of tobacco. I'm happy to keep a bunch in the cellular and Mason jar and ladle those that I occasionally crack open. (I have had the same main jar of Red burn since 2020).

For me, I think I have enough to last me 10 years even if I don't buy another tin. Seems like enough.... for now.

What about you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jacob74

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Hello!

This is more of a person to person opinion question: how often do you smoke compared to your stash?

I smoke about twice a month, but have accumulated about 90 tins of tobacco. I'm happy to keep a bunch in the cellular and Mason jar and ladle those that I occasionally crack open. (I have had the same main jar of Red burn since 2020).

For me, I think I have enough to last me 10 years even if I don't buy another tin. Seems like enough.... for now.

What about you?
Unless I’m misunderstanding and you’re smoking huge bowls, 2 bowls a month would be around 6 grams a month and 72 grams a year. Even if all of your tins are 50g instead of 2oz, 90 tins would be enough tobacco for a little over 62 years of smoking at that pace.

I probably have enough tobacco to last me 3-4 years tops

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Unless I’m misunderstanding and you’re smoking huge bowls, 2 bowls a month would be around 6 grams a month and 72 grams a year. Even if all of your tins are 50g instead of 2oz, 90 tins would be enough tobacco for a little over 62 years of smoking at that pace.

I probably have enough tobacco to last me 3-4 years tops
Math was never my strongest subject.

It's an average. Sometimes it's three days a week. Sometimes it's once a month. I just got carried away for a while there...

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
At my current pace, I’ve got about a 15 year supply. So…. Not enough. About the time I’ll have the hang of this, I’ll be out of baccy if I stop buying no

I recently cleared out most of my accumulated messages and my cellular is much happier.

Darn autocorrect. My cellular had relatively little tobacco

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Any cellular bigger than this is probably a bit much:

(Yes, I know the thread title has been corrected, but I don't care; I will never pass up an opportunity to show old Trigger Happy TV clips.)

As for the actual question, I don't cellar in a traditional sense, but I've 20-30 tobaccos jarred and in use at any given time. But I crack them open whenever the mood strikes, aging be damned. I smoke 1-2 bowls per day on average, so that is way more than enough to see me through. Plus, I rent, so my space is somewhat limited.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I’ve about 20 lbs put up. 75% of which is Haunted Bookshop, Pegasus, Victorian Match & Opening Night. The rest is manly a smattering of McClelland, Germaine’s/Esoterica & mixed bag of aged Virginia/ VaPers. For me the 20 lb mark is where I’m comfortable. At 50 year of age, ill replenish as per necessary, but doubt I go far over the mark considering I no longer smoke 5-10 bowls per day. ☕

DeerparkDays

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2022
Dannevirke, New Zealand
Ahh Opening Night…..a joy I sampled a few days ago and I’m sad it’s all gone!

You might also start to enjoy more regular smoking too, perhaps with kids leaving home, a change in jobs, or retirement. Perhaps a good idea to stock up to cover that, and if it doesn’t change, you will have a lot of aged blends to sell to willing buyers.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I drew that line long ago and since surpassed it. Do I need over 100 pipes? Do I need hundreds of pounds of tobacco? No, no I don't, but I've managed to do it. I have a sickness, that turns me from a mild mannered engineer to this every time there is a dropdownload (1).jpeg