Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
... and can't count the squirrels in my frying pan who got too curious and comfortable. I really believe it assures them you are not harmful, in spite of the shotgun, rifle, revolver or bow.
Killing game is beside the point. The pipe and being undisturbed is what it's about.
As for fishing... duh.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Dani,

I have been off the grid for a week so did not catch the response to my posting from a year ago. True, The volume of smoke is greater but the smoker is more polite of his/her surroundings (people in particular). I am usually annoyed at the disrespect that cigarette smokers usually have for their smoke; often just dealing with their addiction and not comforted by the practice of the pipe meditation...

steveva

Lurker
Nov 14, 2013
I smoke on my deck, while doing yard work, in my truck, at the tobacco shop, working in my wood shop and in my study - which has a ventilation system. My wife doesn't care if I smoke a pipe in the house, but I restrict myself to my private space out of respect to her and when we have family, friends and neighbors over. And the cat is perfectly happy to sit on my lap and snooze while I smoke and read, especially when the window is open and a light breeze is coming thru.

richjw

Lurker
Aug 12, 2015
I was under the impression that the hysterical anti-smoking Nazis hadn't made as much impact on your side of the pond as they have over here but reading some of your comments, it sounds as though you are having it even rougher than we are (depending on the state)! Look on the bright side though - at least you can still collect tobacco tins without having stupid health warning stickers ruining even that simple pleasure!

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Rich, and all this time I thought that the pictures of warning labels was some photoshop rendition of the tins. So sad, so sad...

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
Back patio or deck... On sunny days, I sit by front lawn (I live in Washington, so those are rare)
I wish someday this state makes smoking lounges legal.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
In the garage, in the basement (man cave), on the front deck. But never in the main part of the house, the wife doesn't tolerate it well, it seems to make her cough.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
Due to the family all being asthmatic, I never smoke in the house. Usually on the carport, in the shop, or in my truck. When it gets cold, tough noodles. I'll never smoke around the family.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
In my house whenever I want. I usually keep it limited to my office, but with the layout of the apartment being pretty open, it doesn't matter.
Have a patio as well, and I will often move myself out there. I admit I don't smoke my pipe a whole lot in public. Not because I'm ashamed, but it's often just not convenient.

biggles

Lurker
Sep 25, 2015
Atlanta
I love smoking my pipe in my home office, but found that there are is now mild yellowing to my stippled ceiling. Ironically enough, I am doing an entire home renno on main floor and removing said stippling, but smoke staining seems to accumulate more to that textured style.
Now what I have done is opened two windows in my office and put one of my walmart special air purifiers in one window that literally draws out the smoke 100%. This set up works flawlessly.
Otherwise it is on my deck with coffee....when I have smoked say some Sleepy Hallow, Hobbits Weed, or another tasty aromatic around neighbors, I always got compliments. Not sure about strangers in public.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I live in a town with a population of around 7000 surrounded by farm land. I smoke while walking my dog. I would never just sit on a bench at the local park because that would just be stupid. I do notice that I enjoy my pipe more outdoors for some reason.
Early last Saturday I cut through the local park with my dog and while smoking a pipe. The park doesn't post a no smoking sign but they do have a no pet's sign.
...And I don't really give a damn about that sign.

shadowwolf

Lurker
Oct 29, 2015
If smoking in public I tend to try to use tobaccos with a nice room note so that non-smokers may not be so "offended" by the smell. this works for me also as i tend to use heavier/non-aromatics for morning/evening smokes and my more flavorful smokes during the day when I'm active. I also find that i like smoking my pipe in parks while on a hike or sitting a a nice overlook gazing a nature. Don't worry about cyclists or others outdoors looking down on you, you're just out there enjoying nature with your hobby just as they are and have every right to do so. Towards the beginning smoking in public I did feel like i stuck out like a sore thumb and didn't like the attention. Now more often then not I have people commenting on my pipe designs or saying how its cool that I smoke pipes and not cigarettes, its turned into a conversation piece in its own way. Enjoy what you do and who you are and live life as you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.