PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
I'm going to have to go for the Cannoy Suedeblast.

It would probably just be a large billiard of some sort (extra long saddle stem), someday I'll probably get on a waiting list to have something commissioned.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That Christopher Columbus pipe is amazing, I wonder what happened to it?
Like Sable, I also crossed off several White Whale pipes (Holy Grail on my list) in 2014. I don't have an eye out for anything particular at the moment, counting my blessings....

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow. Looking back thru the 2014 purchase list, I did knock off a number of Holy Grail pipes from my list
Dunhill CK (Shell, 1971)

GBD 9242 New Standard (the first pipe on my list from 3 years ago)

Comoys 440 Tradition (was the 283 shape)

Comoys 284 Tradition

A trio of Sasieni Ashfords, Walnut, Rustic & Ruff Root

Jack Howell (Passion for Pipes POY), a 283/440 Comoys recreation

Ashton Sovereign Rhodesian

GBD 9438 Virgin w/Vulcanite (replaced a Perspex stemmed model)

Castello Shape 54 (Trademark)

Kaywoodie Shape 95 Supergain Churchwarden

Kaywoodie 8783B (Drinkless)

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I got both a Barling Quaint and a birth-year Dunhill this year, so I'm feeling pretty satiated!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
This Gert Holbek, along with a new Andrew Marks pipe, were for a long time my two white whales.

d0231066_1710026.jpg

However, last year I had Andrew make this for me, thereby killing two birds (whales?) with one stone.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/andrew-marks-nose-warmer-2013

andrew-marks-old-favorite-007-600x400.jpg

I'm really not chasing anything in particular right now, but that hasn't stopped me from buying more pipes. :mrgreen:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have some great pipes, although not pie-in-the-sky pipes, so I feel a little spoiled wishing for

the rare and exotic. I just received four beautiful pipes (beautiful in different ways) for Christmas,

so I am "setting sail" to break them in. A not far-fetched but a bit of a reach for a pipe might be

a Bob Hayes; he's an in-state carver who does some outstanding work that is priced a little high,

but isn't beyond considering.
The Christmas pipes are a MM freehand natural white cob (great big bowl); a Ropp straight apple

with red stain and red stem (Christmas looking pipe); a dazzler Savenelli Opera bent Rhodesian 673

which is plain gorgeous; and my first Nording bent freehand autograph pipe from friends in Queens.

I can see engineering is special on Nordings, plus this was chosen with an artist's eye, really distinctive

shaping.
My holiday is wish is to get over this chest cold so I can smoke. I think I'm getting there.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
A Turkish block meerschaum bulldog that has a true army mount with a minimum 1 1/2" bowl depth.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
That Christopher Columbus pipe is just... well beyond words. I also wonder what happened to it?
For me 2014 was a crazy awesome pipe year. So much so that I do not have an outstanding White whale... Wellll MAYBE the top Joura King on Pulver's German page. ;)
I got:
A Dunhill shell cavelier
A Rad Davis
A Duca Morta
A JHW Oom Paul (unsmoked)
A Castello
A JT Cooke
2 Claudio Cavicchis
2 Charatans and a NICE Mountbatten
A Pre Republic Pete
A 1909 BBB Calabash
and I have a deposit with Marty on a Dunhill Shell Birth Year (1971) Oom Paul.
I couldn't afford them (believe me) but I have come to accept I will be in the poorhouse smoking some helaciously beautiful pipes!
=D

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Mine is any Peterson I don't have. That's OK I have 4 briars and one meet and am happy with them. Maybe someday I will be able to afford a couple more.
John

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I think at this point in my life it would be a 1956 Dunhill panel with Cumberland. Not that I know one even exists, or could ever afford it. A fella can dream...

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Aye, aye! It was that accursed white whale that razed me; made a poor pegging lubber of me for ever and a day!... I'll chase him round Good Hope, and round the Horn, and round the Norway Maelstrom, and round perdition's flames before I give him up. And this is what ye have shipped for, men! to chase that white whale on both sides of land, and over all sides of earth, till he spouts black blood and rolls fin out." - From "Moby Dick" by Herman Melville.
My white whale pipe would be a Comoy's 284 Tradition as shown above in ssjones' post. Arrrrg!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Wyfbane's list is pretty impressive and if that 1909 BBB was one of the cased pieces that Marty had on his site you certainly got some great bling as well as one of the best pipes made by a maker at the top of their game. I love my calabash, though I don't smoke it very often as it's a bit of work to clean.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Thank you Sable! It IS from Marty's English page. It is a beaut. Here are 4 of the acquisitions I mentioned in this pic from the Favorite 7 thread (and one I forgot, the Fiamma di Re):
20141204_221324-600x450.jpg

From top, moving clockwise:
Duca Morta (2014)
Rad Davis (2014)
Dunhill Cavelier (2014)
Fiamma di Re (2014)
1909 BBB (2014)
Don Carlos 3 Note
Pete Gold Spigot

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Rsuninv, I was eyeing that Bauer too! Great price for it.
Mine is a Caminetto "New Dear" shape 115, of the early type with the Ascorti-Radice stamp. Bought one in Hawai'i for $90. Adored it. A few months ago, it just...vanished. Don't know if it somehow fell out of my pocket or what. But $300+ is not and will never be in my budget for a pipe, and I'd do anything bar spending that much to obtain one again. I might settle for a different Caminetto if it strikes me, and maybe a "Business" instead of a "New Dear," but it has to be Ascorti-Radice, not the later "Hand made in Italy" stamping!

rockvillepete

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2013
I just came across this thread and thought I'd share mine: A Geiger paneled Dublin freehand with horn and silver Celtic dragon motif shank accents. Love made this piece in 2008 and I've been in love with it ever since!
27999772223_d00cf1fd1d_h_d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.