PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddypiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Here's the Grabow I picked up last night. I paid $7. The outside has a hard gritty something on it almost like cake on the outside, the stem looks like someone tried to start removing the oxidation and gave up after heavy sandpaper, and the tenon doesn't currently go all the way in. As far as I can see I think it says West - something on one side and automatic on the other but I don't know much about Grabows. The Bowl is fairly clean though so that's a plus. Sorry about the lighting, I'm at work and that's the best I could do.

img_6505-600x450.jpg

paddypiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Yes I saw the post afterwards but wasn't able to edit mine by then and didn't want to waste the time to write another post. Also I've got it to the point that Westbrook is very legible on the side. Still can't get tenon to thread all the way in.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Sweet, you guys are fast. I haven't even started. I bought multiple Grabows also but just remember when we post the final contest before and after thread you'll need to pick the one you want to be voted on

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Very nice guys!
So, when will the actual contest thread start? My other possible entry is experiencing USPS 'issues'. Sigh... but I can always work with one of the others.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Probably the first of October.
I got mine in and decided I'm definitely going with the bulldog.
img_0903-600x450.jpg

img_0904-600x450.jpg

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
A tip from another newbie. Wet tobacco will bite. Lots of blends tend to be wet. Set a small amount of tobacco out to dry for a while. Then, while smoking, keep a nice cold drink (whatever you like) to swish over your tongue if the tobacco tries to bite. Then, just relax and enjoy the experience. Let the pipe cool, relight if necessary and carry on!

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Someone about loved that pipe to death! It's amazing that those old smokers would not take a pocket knife at least , and trim that cake out as they were smoking it. I understand the premise of smoke one to death and buy another but you would think they would at least open it up to get more tobacco in it.... :crazy:

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
The 'lost' pipes finally arrived today. Turns out that the Grabow in the pair has a blue spade. But, the stem is stuck. I think this one will be my entry.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Crap, I was feeling pretty good. I picked up an $8 Dr. Grabow Meerschaum lined bent billiard today at a junk shop, but it has a push stem, no logo. The search continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.