PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Anyone have yearly traditions or trips they take? When I live at home my Dad, brother and I would all go out fishing for the day.

Every year my daughter wakes me up. Early. Like Christmas morning kinda early to go pick a 3 flats of strawberries. After picking for a few hours we grab some lunch then head on home and start on the cleaning and prep work for jam and strawberry pies for everyone in the family. Usually by this time we've conned mom into helping us in the kitchen and we all enjoy a nice family day together. We have fun, but usually by the time I'm ready to start making pie crusts everyone disappears lol.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
No traditions as of yet. I have 2 small boys, and can't wait to get a yearly tradition started with them.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Gonna plank a pork roast, but I don't know of anything else. Never had traditions even when my girls were growing up - the fact that my birthday is the 20th gets the two combined a lot.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Wow, the shrimp boil and the roast pork sounds awesome.
Man of Steel in IMAX 3D (though i hear its getting ripped on reviews) with my son. Then to the inlaws. Hopefully get a couple of bowls in there, maybe crack a new tin I haven't tried.

vamike

Might Stick Around
Jun 2, 2013
Blue Ridge Mountains
Not sure if my kids have any plans. (Doubt it.) I will be attending church with my Dad. I'm sure it will tickle him to have his heathen son in church for a change. :evil:

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I will go spend some time with my Dad and probably my FIL. I'm a step-dad, but that never meant much to my step-daughter.

Jul 12, 2011
Nurse'in my 7yr old son back to health; tough lil dude had

his tonsils and adenoids removed this past Thursday...damn

painful for him...would take all that pain for him if I could...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My tradition is my kids wait on me hand and foot while I get to watch the US Open. When my dad was alive we would usually go to his place for a barbecue.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Remembering my Dad fondly. He trained as a minesweeper officer during WWII and

skippered several ships in the Philippines. He had a long career on LaSalle Street as

a municipal bond underwriter for various firms, finished out that career in consulting,

and took up another career running the computer lab at the local community college,

retiring in his seventies. Then he became the reigning neighborhood elder,

being surrogate grandfather to any number of kids, young adults, and

middle aged folks too. He died at 89, licensed to drive, and the church was filled to

capacity (several hundred or more) for his memorial service. I think maybe I was the

closest kid to him, or maybe just the one who was most at ease. I think he found raising

a son easier daughters. He really understood my quirks and traits. After the

memorial service, with lots of testimonials, my younger sister and I joked that he'd

started a cult.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I am going to be making and receiving calls as I am traveling. Maybe go out for a nice steak in the afternoon. When I only get to see the folks, spouse, kids, a few days a month it really makes that time special(It also makes it fly by too quickly). I hope everyone has a great time with their Dad and or kids tomorrow!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
My daughter's family has gone to Disneyland, so Father's Day is postponed until next week.
I'll be cleaning the travel trailer roof, and my wife and I will have a BBQ. Then we'll sit on the deck and enjoy evening. Happy Father's Day, everyone!

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Don't see them anymore or hear from them . one is in jail the other is on drugs bad . :crying:

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Teddy: Tough one.

I to,am estranged from my two grown kids for reasons they will not state. Sad and depressing.

I'll gas up the Fusion and head for a long ride with loads of tobacco for the trip.

Best wishes.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Sitting on the picnic table, smoking a pipe, and watching the kids play in the yard.
Might grill up some chicken with potato salad and hoe cakes.

crk69

Jun 30, 2012
Unfortunantly I will be working, but will still call my dad to wish him a happy fathers day...

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
Younger son is taking me out for lunch at my fave restaurant, that I haven't been to since last August. (Older son lives in Europe.)
Used to fire up the Black Diamond smoker and soak plenty of hickory, mesquite, and oak chunks and make several racks of fall-off-the-bone ribs, and also make my own rub, mopping sauce, and finishing sauce. Both sons would come with the ribs early and a cooler full of cold ones, and we'd relax outside, adding a few chunks every now and then to the firebox. It was nice, but the tradition died after the older son moved back to his wife's homeland.
It'll be a fun day, though. They both were in London recently for the older son's best friend's wedding, so son #2 should have plenty of interesting stories about the week he spent there.

Status
Not open for further replies.