PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

S.A. DeVault

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2022
Southern Wisconsin
My maternal Grandfather: Lucky Strikes cigarettes, Mail Pouch chewing tobacco, not sure for pipes
My maternal uncle: Half and Half for his pipe, Swisher Sweets for his cigar
Today, Half and Half is still my favorite OTC brand and almost always is in my house

Reactions: Buzzard

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
My great Grandfather smoked Prince Albert, and favored Kaywoodie pipes. I have a couple of them. One pipe at a time kind of guy. A great Uncle smoked Granger. Another old farmer, smoked a pipe until he burned it out.

Reactions: grimpeur
Mar 3, 2024
Slaughterville, Oklahoma
My granddad had pipes but I don't recall ever seeing him smoke one. He rolled Prince Albert cigarettes and I must assume that was what he put in his pipe. There was nothing else except a pack of 'store bought' cigarettes (Camel filtered) for when he went into town. To watch that man roll a cigarette was a study in skilled excellence.
IMG_20240325_152426.jpgIMG_20240325_152444.jpg

Reactions: PaulRVA and Buzzard
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
Title edited for caps and brevity. Rule 9!

Just curious if you have a grandfather or father that smoked a pipe what did they smoke?

Ill go first:
My grandfather only smoked Sir Walter Raleigh. My father didnt have a consistent brand but he enjoyed cherry tobacco.
My father smoked Half & Half in a cob. My only other relative that smoked a pipe was my mom’s brother. He smoked Borkum Riff in bulldog briars. I remember thinking his tobacco smelled better than my dad’s.

Reactions: grimpeur

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
My Great grandfather "my mothers stepmother's Dad) smoked Union Leader in Dr. Grabows billiards. If the Acme and drugstore was out he would smoke Prince Albert. My stepfather's brother smoked Captain Black original and Royal. In his den he had a pipe rack with 8 pipes and a tub of Captain black in the white metal can, he also had a can of Amphora in there too but only saw him dip his pipes in the Captain Black can. I loved the smell of his den. I remember when he stopped at our house before, he told me to go in his car to get a dollar out of his console so I could run up to the corner store for "Penny Fishy's" chewy red candy fish. Next to his gear shifter there was a pouch of Captain Black Royal sitting there. His car smelled amazing too. My great grandfather who was my mom's father's dad was an immigrant along with my great grandmother from Italy. He smoked Avanti anisette cigars. I was really young when I went to the house in Clifton Hights not far from South Philly. I remember that house smelling like red gravy and black jellybeans. I smoke those cigars once in a while and think of my Italian family members. My Dad and his father, my grandfather, smoked Salem Lights. My grandmother smoked Raleigh 100s. My mom smoked Merit and my stepfather smoked a Dr. Grabow with Borkum Riff cherry Cavendish, he also smoked True Green. My mom's dad smoked Winston's but quit when I was a baby. My whole family smoked some kind of tobacco. They are all long gone now except for my mother and stepfather. They are in their 70s now.