PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

auskip07

Lurker
Feb 26, 2024
Title edited for caps and brevity. Rule 9!

Just curious if you have a grandfather or father that smoked a pipe what did they smoke?

Ill go first:
My grandfather only smoked Sir Walter Raleigh. My father didnt have a consistent brand but he enjoyed cherry tobacco.

Last edited by a moderator:

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
None of my family smoked a pipe, but my grandfather used to roll his own unfiltered ciggs. Tobacco was whatever he got from the corner store in Irbid, Jordan. Probably was an oriental blend of some sort.

Many of my uncles smoked/smoke Marlboro Red or Parliament.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Just curious if you have a grandfather or father that smoked a pipe what did they smoke?

Ill go first:
My grandfather only smoked Sir Walter Raleigh. My father didnt have a consistent brand but he enjoyed cherry tobacco.

My grandfather smoked cigarettes, tailor made and hand rolled, cigars, smoked a pipe, chewed leaf, plug and twist, dipped and snorted snuff, and if he could he’d have shot it up in his arm.:)

He began smoking at age 6 in 1886 and died of old age (Alzheimer’s we’d call it today) with a sound body except worn out by old age at 92 in 1972.

He could walk around his yard on his hands at age 89, on his 50th wedding anniversary to his second wife 17 years younger and about a head taller than he was, my grandmother.

He wasn’t poor, either. In a chest of drawers he kept every codger brand of tobacco known in the sixties.

My favorite was Half and Half, which he also favored, but he smoked them all.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I love how there’s so many old dudes on the forum you went ahead and asked ‘did they smoke’ instead of ‘do they smoke’ haha.

My father smokes Drum RYO from that big blue can. Its the Dutch-style blend not the regular one. I had a few cigarettes of the stuff last time I saw him a year or so ago and it was great.

When I was growing up he mostly smoked American spirit ryo and Macanudo cigars but he wasn’t opposed to nicer cigars is someone offered. He’s never smoked a pipe before and, ironically, I’ve never smoked a cigar.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
My maternal grandfather smoked Chesterfields. He quit before I was born. Other grandfather smoked Winston Reds until two weeks before he died on Christmas Eve 2003, (my grandmother's birthday too...what a joker! :ROFLMAO:) at the same age his dad lived to be, 84. My dad only smoked cigarettes too, and quit well before I was born.

I always wished I had a pipe smoking relative. Maybe in the next life.

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
A fascinating thread. Thanks for sharing, everybody.

My Granddaddy smoked Middleton Cherry, Bond Street, or whatever was on sale.

Poppa smoked Winstons and although he didn't smoke a pipe, the scent of Condor instantly reminds me of him. It must have been some kind of strange 1970s brand of soap or aftershave he used.

Granmummy smoked Dunhill lights and my Great Uncle Jack smoked Players.

I'm sure they would have all been amused by this discussion, something that to them would be as mundane as reminiscing about what brand of oatmeal they ate.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
My father chain-smoked Greek cigarettes most of his life. When he came to America, in the late 30s, he smoked Papastratos Assos (when available) or Parliament cigarettes, and smoked Cookie Jar tobacco when smoking his pipes.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Grandfather smoked Havelock and dad smoked Capstan, Black and White and Edgeworth. There are a few old tobacco tins of Dr Pat, Temple Bar from the British Australasian Tobacco Company and Murrays Erinmore over in the shed with small screws in them now, so I guess dad and and grandfather smoked that as well.