What Retired Blends Would you Bring Back?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SOG47

Lurker
Sep 19, 2023
FYI I recently posted this question over on the TobaccoReviews.com forum but found that this forum seems to be considerably more active, so i thought I would also seek some more answers from this site. I know over the course of the past several decades we have lost not only many highly regarded blends but we have also witnessed many companies fall out completely such as McClelland's. I am curious to see what older pipe smokers will say who have witnessed these legendary blends come and go. I am curious about many of the older blends which were retired several decades ago such as Sullivan & Powell, the other Sobranie tobaccos, Benson & Hedges (the more premium side), John Cotton's, State Express, Player's, Three Castles, Dunhill, Gallaher's etc. If you could bring back say 3 retired blends, what would they be? Looking forward to your comments, appreciated as always.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I was involved in the 'resurrection' business being part of the team that re-animated War Horse, Bengal Slices, John Cotton's 1 and 2, John Cotton's Smyrna, Dobie's Four Square as part of the Standard Tobacco Co of PA. It is not worth it. You think that the world will beat a path to your door to congratulate you on your efforts? Wrong! The world will try and burn your frigging house down, scream abuse at you, all the while your manufacturing partners will tell you what they cannot do. You will be surrounded by arm chair experts, the mentally deranged and one or two people that need locking up in the funny farm. If it is not made today there is a good reason for it and probably commercial. Bringing back something from the dead is the most thankless task you could ever engage in and I can fully understand why our good lord only ever resurrected Lazarus!

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I was involved in the 'resurrection' business being part of the team that re-animated War Horse, Bengal Slices, John Cotton's 1 and 2, John Cotton's Smyrna, Dobie's Four Square as part of the Standard Tobacco Co of PA. It is not worth it. You think that the world will beat a path to your door to congratulate you on your efforts? Wrong! The world will try and burn your frigging house down, scream abuse at you, all the while your manufacturing partners will tell you what they cannot do. You will be surrounded by arm chair experts, the mentally deranged and one or two people that need locking up in the funny farm. If it is not made today there is a good reason for it and probably commercial. Bringing back something from the dead is the most thankless task you could ever engage in and I can fully understand why our good lord only ever resurrected Lazarus!

So, what are you trying to say? You're being so vague it left me confused...

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
McClelland's Blackwoods Flake
McClelland's Drama Reserve
Rattray's Hal O the Wind from 15-20 years ago, before it got the current saccharine overtone

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Not legendary blends and really not even THAT old but I really miss the Hearth and Home Sweet & Savory, and Virginia Night.

Another long time favorite is the original Petersons Sherlock Holmes - when it was just a nice straight Virginia ribbon.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
For the game to make any sense at all we have to posit reincarnation; the resurrection of a blend in a form indistinguishable from “the good old days”. Unrealistic, of course, but we’re talking about idle fantasy.

With that understood my vote is for State Express London Mixture. Ask me again tomorrow and you might get a different answer.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
FYI I recently posted this question over on the TobaccoReviews.com forum but found that this forum seems to be considerably more active, so i thought I would also seek some more answers from this site. I know over the course of the past several decades we have lost not only many highly regarded blends but we have also witnessed many companies fall out completely such as McClelland's. I am curious to see what older pipe smokers will say who have witnessed these legendary blends come and go. I am curious about many of the older blends which were retired several decades ago such as Sullivan & Powell, the other Sobranie tobaccos, Benson & Hedges (the more premium side), John Cotton's, State Express, Player's, Three Castles, Dunhill, Gallaher's etc. If you could bring back say 3 retired blends, what would they be? Looking forward to your comments, appreciated as always.
You could start with the three blends you would bring back and why from the 80s - 2020.

Reactions: jpmcwjr