PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Title edited for caps and brevity

So far in my journey into this thing we call pipe smoking I think of “all day smokes” and “go to’s“ constantly. We have a 6 week family road trip coming up so I need to condense my hobby to a few “ go to’s“ For me it’s a matter of taste for time of day, easability to acquire and store, prepare pack and light. Yesterday I cracked my first tin of Old Joe Krantz and like the first sip of EMP I was all “ Yep you’re my buddy now”. As far as Balkan’s though I have some Balkan Supreme I haven’t tried I find Super Balkan to meet my needs quite nicely. Still searching for a straight Va though for Vapor I’m going with Exclusive” and straight Burley my trusty 5 brothers. Night Englishes are neck in neck contenders Father Dempsey and NC thinking NC is in the lead. And finally a night Burley is ODF vs BDF.

I’m interested what y’all would weigh in on if you were traveling for 6 weeks in a minivan with the kids what you would bring. Thinking 3 tobaccos each with its alternate ( for variety) so 6 in total daily smokes 2 for morning noon and night respectively and the 1 celebratory blend that gets smoked only when there is time to really enjoy it. So 7 totall.

so far I got
Morning =EMP , alternate?
Noon =Old Joe Krantz, Dark Birdseye
Night = NC , Super Balkan
Celebratory = BDF

what say you ladies and gents?

I’m interested in “go to’s“ as that’s how I found Mr. Krantz and EMP to begin with.
and rest assured The Black Frigate is in the cart…

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JOHN72 and Ahi Ka

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Your lunch time tobaccos are loaded with nic. Are you sure you are good to go in terms of driving without a queasy stomach? Also, if others will be nearby, consider courtesy by including aromatics with great room notes. Memories are being created. Memories that will impact those with you decades after the trip. Pipe smoking smells overpower even the oldest curmudgeon.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Granted i only smoke 1 or 2 bowls a day, and we have never been on holiday for more than a week as a family, but when we do go, I take one blend. I treat it as a chance to escape my rotation and get to know one blend better…and in a way, similar to what old Tele said above, I now associate this blend with holiday times. For me, its EGR
I like that Idea get to know a blend , ERG ?

Reactions: Ahi Ka

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Your lunch time tobaccos are loaded with nic. Are you sure you are good to go in terms of driving without a queasy stomach? Also, if others will be nearby, consider courtesy by including aromatics with great room notes. Memories are being created. Memories that will impact those with you decades after the trip. Pipe smoking smells overpower even the oldest curmudgeon.
I hear that and will take it into consideration, guess I’m also just interested in peoples go to’s the social barometer factor might inform people’s choices, good point

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I don't carry much tobacco when I travel as places where one can smoke in public are somewhat limited in Oz.

Also I'm very likely with my granddaughter and the "no smoking when she's around" rule applies.

I usually carry two blends - one with a nice room note (read aromatic) when there might be people around, and an English/Balkan/VaPer for more solitary indulgence.

I never smoke when I'm driving. Too much risk of causing an accident should I drop embers on my crotch ?

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Without any hesitation I’d pack up my tobacco pouch with as much SWR Regular as it could hold (which would be about an ounce and a half). That could maybe just barely get me through the week. Although SWR is 100% my go-to, all day, desert island, whatever you want to call it blend, some others that I wouldn’t be mad about having in my pouch are hh burley flake, Pegasus, Yorktown, opening night, golden extra, and PS luxury navy flake.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Without any hesitation I’d pack up my tobacco pouch with as much SWR Regular as it could hold (which would be about an ounce and a half). That could maybe just barely get me through the week. Although SWR is 100% my go-to, all day, desert island, whatever you want to call it blend, some others that I wouldn’t be mad about having in my pouch are hh burley flake, Pegasus, Yorktown, opening night, golden extra, and PS luxury navy flake.
Still a greenhorn SWR =?