Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
For me, it’s St Bruno.

I’ve spent a few thousand pounds trying to find “the one”, the perfect smoke to beat them all and I always come back to St Bruno.

I have only found a couple of tobaccos that I haven’t liked (KBC being the one that instantly springs to mind - like smoking a can of air freshener ?) and I enjoy smoking different blends at different times in different pipes but I always come back to St Bruno.

It might be because it was one of Grandad’s favourites; every time I fire it up I’m taken back to being a kid again, listening to war stories where hands became dive bombing Stukas and tea cups became tanks. It might be because it is a lovely smoke, a faithful old pal; I don’t know?

Either way, if you haven’t tried it, and assuming it is available where you are, I’d try a tin of the flake and add it to your list as the “mid-afternoon” baccy.
I will most definitely try it , thanks for the sweet prose.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I do travel a lot - more than most - and spend a month or more each year out of country as well. I always bring several pipes and no more than 2 or three blends. I want my smoking experience to be one that can add value to the trip, not compete with it. The pipes are always ones that pack well and can take a bit of abuse. The tobacco is always a blend that goes down smooth and is fairly light. Why? One never knows how local foods and drinks and elevation will make one feel. I don’t want my tobacco compounding any issues. At each hotel stop I ask where I can smoke and the staff have always been accommodating.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
When I travel, which is seldom these days, I always keep it simple. Often I use travel to take a break from pipes for a week or two and take nothing with me.

But if I decide to pack along something, it's a couple of pipes and one, maybe two, tobaccos. Yorktown would be a pick, as would St Bruno. I don't smoke much English anymore, having burned out on Latakia, but I might bring along an Oriental, like Brunello Flake, though flakes and keeping it simple don't quite go together for me.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
While traveling I usually take 2 pipes and one of them is always a cob.
As for tobacco, it's usually MB Dark Twist, St. Bruno and an easy smoking burley or codger blend like SWR.
Was recently gifted a tin of MB dark twist , tried rubbing it out as I don’t know what to do with coins , very good though , but I need more time with it and to learn to prepare it properly …

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
My grab and go pouch for travel is St. Bruno. If at home and I don't want to think about things too much the go to is either Watch City Elf's Dandruff or Arango Balkan Supreme, depending on my mood. I just recently tried Sir Walter Raleigh and now have a tub of it for those times when SUPER EASY is desired... Just scoop, light, smoke, enjoy!

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
When I think of an all day smoke I'm looking primarily mechanical aspects, not necessarily something that is lower in nicotine. That said, I am all about shag cuts. My current all day smokes are Five Brothers, GH Dark Birds Eye and Le Petit Robin.
Like minds , shags are easy and quick I notice when I’m out in the world and want to just smoke 5 bros and Kendal Dark are great I recently acquired some dark birdseye and it’s going in the travel pouch. I guess one advantage of the semois is you don’t have to worry about it drying out ??

Reactions: Meerly John