PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Sir Walter Raleigh
Nice ,been thinking about them Codger blends just to have pouches stuck in little crannies everywhere I go. I’m on the move constantly. I picked up a tin of War Horse Bar. And was immediately transported to to 1977 in my grandpa‘s wood shop. Think that’s what brought me here in the first place I would like to think that after I get over the initial obsession with this new hobby I’ll settle into a good old over the counter standby.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Nice ,been thinking about them Codger blends just to have pouches stuck in little crannies everywhere I go. I’m on the move constantly. I picked up a tin of War Horse Bar. And was immediately transported to to 1977 in my grandpa‘s wood shop. Think that’s what brought me here in the first place I would like to think that after I get over the initial obsession with this new hobby I’ll settle into a good old over the counter standby.
SWR is a good one. Pick up a pouch and give it a try on your next order.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Since your with the kids ...Country Squire Old Tobey as an aromatic and get let the kids watch The Hobbit and Lord of The Rings on a DVD Player/IPAD in the back. (Since they will be smoking your smoke anyway !)
ha ha and na na won’t be smoking directly in the mini , but yeah good long epic tales for big long epic drives I hear ya. Funny thing ,been trying to get Scaferlati Caporal and a Mac Barren rep got back to me with a German website ( didn’t have it) but all the Vauen blends were in the top sellers list with Ehemals Of The Shire being #1 and EMP at #2. A bit of hometown pride and/or that stuff must be pretty good ?

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
ha ha and na na won’t be smoking directly in the mini , but yeah good long epic tales for big long epic drives I hear ya. Funny thing ,been trying to get Scaferlati Caporal and a Mac Barren rep got back to me with a German website ( didn’t have it) but all the Vauen blends were in the top sellers list with Ehemals Of The Shire being #1 and EMP at #2. A bit of hometown pride and/or that stuff must be pretty good ?
I will have to check them out; thanks ! ?

Reactions: vosBghos

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
SWR is a good one. Pick up a pouch and give it a try on your next order.
The pouches can be hit or miss (especially from brick and mortar stores). I’d say if you’re comfortable with it pick up one of the 7oz tubs. They can usually be had for around $20. I usually go through a tub every 5-6 weeks. If all I had on a trip was Sir Walter Raleigh regular and a meerschaum I’d surely be set.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
If you haven’t tried Presbyterian it may work as your EMP alternate. My first pipe everyday is either EMP or Presbyterian almost without fail.
I’ve been enjoying Epiphany as an all day smoke as of late - it’s kind of a light English but with burley.
For an evening smoke Engine #99 is in my opinion a great Full English with a bit of everything.
But then again - opinions vary:)

Jun 23, 2019
so far I got
Morning =EMP , alternate?
Noon =Old Joe Krantz, Dark Birdseye
Night = NC , Super Balkan
Celebratory = BDF

Chelsea Morning might be a fun alternative for EMP - it'll be pretty dramatically different from the other stuff you have there. Maybe in a similar vain, I would suggest giving Quiet Nights a look too.

Other than that, it's what you like and it looks like you have a good list already.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
If you haven’t tried Presbyterian it may work as your EMP alternate. My first pipe everyday is either EMP or Presbyterian almost without fail.
I’ve been enjoying Epiphany as an all day smoke as of late - it’s kind of a light English but with burley.
For an evening smoke Engine #99 is in my opinion a great Full English with a bit of everything.
But then again - opinions vary:)
I’ve heard good things about engine 99 , I’ll most definitely check it out. I dunno about the Presby for me I couldn’t taste much there , but I put it in a jar and will revisit it some morning might unlock the flavor with a cup of good morning America , thanks for the tips

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Chelsea Morning might be a fun alternative for EMP - it'll be pretty dramatically different from the other stuff you have there. Maybe in a similar vain, I would suggest giving Quiet Nights a look too.

Other than that, it's what you like and it looks like you have a good list already.
Heard great things about all of these Quiet nights especially thanks

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
When I travel with a limited number of blends, the list is apt to include several out of the following:
  • Old Dublin
  • Peterson (Dunhill) Standard
  • Capstan Blue
  • Amphora Original
  • Amphora Burley
  • Amphora Virginia
  • Lane Ready Rubbed
  • Peterson (Dunhill) Flake

• Love
Reactions: JOHN72 and vosBghos

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
So far in my journey into this thing we call pipe smoking I think of “all day smokes” and “go to’s“ constantly. We have a 6 week family road trip coming up so I need to condense my hobby to a few “ go to’s“ For me it’s a matter of taste for time of day, easability to acquire and store, prepare pack and light. Yesterday I cracked my first tin of Old Joe Krantz and like the first sip of EMP I was all “ Yep you’re my buddy now”. As far as Balkan’s though I have some Balkan Supreme I haven’t tried I find Super Balkan to meet my needs quite nicely. Still searching for a straight Va though for Vapor I’m going with Exclusive” and straight Burley my trusty 5 brothers. Night Englishes are neck in neck contenders Father Dempsey and NC thinking NC is in the lead. And finally a night Burley is ODF vs BDF.

I’m interested what y’all would weigh in on if you were traveling for 6 weeks in a minivan with the kids what you would bring. Thinking 3 tobaccos each with its alternate ( for variety) so 6 in total daily smokes 2 for morning noon and night respectively and the 1 celebratory blend that gets smoked only when there is time to really enjoy it. So 7 totall.

so far I got
Morning =EMP , alternate?
Noon =Old Joe Krantz, Dark Birdseye
Night = NC , Super Balkan
Celebratory = BDF

what say you ladies and gents?

I’m interested in “go to’s“ as that’s how I found Mr. Krantz and EMP to begin with.
and rest assured The Black Frigate is in the cart…
For me, it’s St Bruno.

I’ve spent a few thousand pounds trying to find “the one”, the perfect smoke to beat them all and I always come back to St Bruno.

I have only found a couple of tobaccos that I haven’t liked (KBC being the one that instantly springs to mind - like smoking a can of air freshener ?) and I enjoy smoking different blends at different times in different pipes but I always come back to St Bruno.

It might be because it was one of Grandad’s favourites; every time I fire it up I’m taken back to being a kid again, listening to war stories where hands became dive bombing Stukas and tea cups became tanks. It might be because it is a lovely smoke, a faithful old pal; I don’t know?

Either way, if you haven’t tried it, and assuming it is available where you are, I’d try a tin of the flake and add it to your list as the “mid-afternoon” baccy.