What Foodstuffs Best Define the Place Where You Live?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
H
I spent a handful of days in Harford maybe 11-12 years ago for work and I could have sworn liver and onions was a local delicacy there! My wife and I walked into a back road diner for breakfast one morning and I'm pretty sure I heard a record player scratch as we walked in and everyone stopped talking and turned to look at us. I made the mistake of asking for bagels, the foolish New Jerseyan that I am, and was preceded to be given frozen lenders bagels they toasted in a regular old table toaster. I stood there tapping the counter waiting for it to pop up and get out of there ha ha. An interesting place. I'm pretty used to the eastern PA locality, but that was certainly a place.

Pepper Pot Soup sounds delicious.
Harford, PA?
That’s almost NYS!
Way off my radar, but I’ve driven past it.

Pepper Pot soup is a Philadelphia original. Tripe. My dad (born 1919) loved it.

Last edited:
Reactions: fireground_piper

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Ontario Canada. Maple syrup, peameal bacon, Tim Horton’s coffee, bagels, Beaver tails, ketchup chips, smarties, ice wine, Hawaiian pizza, cheese curds, map-o-spread, pickerel, moose, venison, bear, mudpout.

The last 7 are not for the urban populace, but from time spent growing up in small town Ottawa Valley.

Peameal bacon . I recall over 50 yrs ago, my father and I crossed the border from NY to Ontario just to import this style of bacon. The junk imitation in the US never had the texture and taste.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
But isn't KK a nation wide franchise? I thought it started in S. Cal.

This was so blasphemous I about fell out of my chair and started foaming at the mouth. My wife had to grab the emergency Original Glaze to resuscitate me.

Krispy Kreme was born and raised in Winston Salem. The town's a baked goods Mecca in general.

And for BBQ it's got to be vinegar.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This was so blasphemous I about fell out of my chair and started foaming at the mouth. My wife had to grab the emergency Original Glaze to resuscitate me.
Forgive my heinous gaffe... Before they landed on our Northern shores (Monterey-SF-Oakland) the nearest KK was well South of us, and there were many in the LA area. And LA spawns all sorts of crap, I ass-u-med they were there. I hope you read my humble correction.
Krispy Kreme was born and raised in Winston Salem. The town's a baked goods Mecca in general.

And for BBQ it's got to be vinegar.
I have to agree, having had the proper BBQ for only a week, 40 years ago. Wish I could get it fresh here.

Wishing you a full recovery from your almost heart attack!

Pappy Coon

Might Stick Around
Feb 13, 2024
Panhandle of Nebraska
Nebraska/Midwest USofA:

Chili and cinnamon rolls (expert level if you put the chili on the cinnamon roll)
Bierrocks (meat and cabbage mix baked in a bread roll)
Runzas (fast food chain equivalent of bierrocks)
Fairbury Franks (the only hotdog served at Cornhusker games)
Switzel or Haymaker's Punch (gatorade before there was gatorade)
I still haven't tried the chili and cinnamon roll combo. The guys at work say it's fantastic.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
In France yes, the cheese and wine.

Im going to have to add Duck as well as Oysters.

Beef in France is meh...nothing compared to the US. However, rare duck seared breast is a cornerstone and it is for me the beef of France. So tasty

I never ate raw oysters until I moved here and I love them. I put on a dash of hot sauce as opposed to how the French serve them. The French eat more oysters per capata than any other nation. You go to the grocery and there are at least half a dozen different types.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Michigan also is the home of the Hani, a chicken pita wrap with American and Swiss cheese, lettuce, and tomato.

Invented in a Coney Island, a Hani is usually served with a side of ranch and pile of fries.

Is a Hani found elsewhere in the country (and just called a pita wrap)?

20240420_185846.jpg

20240420_190030.jpg

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Florida .. not much.

Key Lime pie, really good tart key lime pie, only place in the world they grow so i will go with that. Also just because someone says they have Key Lime pie doesn't really mean it's Key Lime pie, usually in other places they just use regular limes and call it what they want.

Reactions: swampgrizzly

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Except in the last 30-50 years, Key Lime trees are everywhere. it's quite possible to get a well made Key Lime pie right here.

But you're right on the probability it's not from Key Limes, and the real macgullah is a treat.