What Foodstuffs Best Define the Place Where You Live?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Detroit:

Coney dogs - chili with mustard & onions
Potato chips - Better Made
Pop/soda - Vernors, Faygo, Town Club
Pizza - square style and the chain stores (Domino's, Little Caesars, Hungry Howies, Jets)

Shawarma
Superman ice cream
Corned beef (with double baked rye bread)

Boston cooler (ginger ale float)
Paczkis - filled doughnuts
Pickled bologna
Bumpy cake
Almond boneless chicken
Zip sauce for steaks
Yardbird Sandwich - our contribution to bbq (smoked chicken, grainy honey mustard bbq sauce, mushrooms, and crispy bacon)

Michigan:

Bacon cheeseburger
Olive burger
Cherries
Fudge
Pasties
Wet burrito - topped with red chili sauce and cheese

Craft beer
Whitefish
Frankenmuth chicken - different type of fried chicken

Kelloggs cereal
Vlasic pickles
When I visit Detroit I look forward to those giant cream puffs topped with Sanders Hot Fudge!

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
I'm biased obviously but North Carolina has some of the best stuff on the planet and it's not just the baccy.

Cheerwine, an incredibly carbonated cherry soda.

Cook Out, down and dirty backyard style fast food joint.

BBQ in general.

Neese's, spiced locally made and delivered sausage.

Moravian everything, mainly out of Winston Salem. A Christmas isn't complete without a sugar cake.

Some of the best oysters anywhere. There's even a company out of Wilmington that will deliver specific varieties to anywhere in the state same day.

Doughnuts, Krispy Kreme. There's few things better in life than a hot freshly made KK doughnut.

I'm probably forgetting something but those are what springs to mind and the things I miss most when I'm away.

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
But isn't KK a nation wide franchise? I thought it started in S. Cal.
No idea. But Krispy Kreme rocks!! Ha ha, sorry.
Head Banging GIFs | Tenor

Reactions: Swiss Army Knife

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Over 12,000 retail outlets! From website:

"Krispy Kreme was founded by Vernon Rudolph (1915–1973), who bought a yeast-raised recipe from a New Orleans chef, rented a building in 1937 in what is now historic Old Salem in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, and began selling to local grocery stores.[3][4]Steady growth preceded an ambitious expansion as a public company in the period 2000 to 2016, which ultimately proved unprofitable. In 2016, the company returned to private ownership under JAB Holding Company, a private Luxembourg-based firm. In July 2021, Krispy Kreme became publicly traded again on the Nasdaq.[1]

Over 12,000 retail outlets! From website:

"Krispy Kreme was founded by Vernon Rudolph (1915–1973), who bought a yeast-raised recipe from a New Orleans chef, rented a building in 1937 in what is now historic Old Salem in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, and began selling to local grocery stores.[3][4]Steady growth preceded an ambitious expansion as a public company in the period 2000 to 2016, which ultimately proved unprofitable. In 2016, the company returned to private ownership under JAB Holding Company, a private Luxembourg-based firm. In July 2021, Krispy Kreme became publicly traded again on the Nasdaq.[1]
Soooo, it was a NC business?

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Pepperoni rolls, popular with coal miners
From Wikipedia:

A packaged pepperoni roll
The pepperoni roll was first sold by Giuseppe "Joseph" Argiro at the Country Club Bakery in Fairmont, West Virginia, in 1927.[6] The rolls originated as a lunch option for the coal miners of north-central West Virginia in the first half of the 20th century.“

The Country Club Bakery is still cranking out these delicious rolls. When they first pop out the ovens, my goodness they are extra good. They keep for upwards of 5-7 days, good for outdoor activities, or when you need something substantial enough to last 3-4 hrs.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Yeah, I guess that might be thought of as regional, but like a lot of other stuff in this thread, it really isn’t.

How about Pepper Pot soup?
I spent a handful of days in Harford maybe 11-12 years ago for work and I could have sworn liver and onions was a local delicacy there! My wife and I walked into a back road diner for breakfast one morning and I'm pretty sure I heard a record player scratch as we walked in and everyone stopped talking and turned to look at us. I made the mistake of asking for bagels, the foolish New Jerseyan that I am, and was preceded to be given frozen lenders bagels they toasted in a regular old table toaster. I stood there tapping the counter waiting for it to pop up and get out of there ha ha. An interesting place. I'm pretty used to the eastern PA locality, but that was certainly a place.

Pepper Pot Soup sounds delicious.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon