What Foodstuffs Best Define the Place Where You Live?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I am British through & through and if I had to define where I live in terms of victuals it would look something like this....

Coleman's Mustard (powder, NOT the ready made pap)
Fuller's London Pride (ale)
Cheddar Cheese
Cornish Pasties
Branston Pickle
Stilton Cheese
Timothy Taylor's Landlord (ale)
H. P. Sauce
Wensleydale Cheese
P.G. Tips Tea
Walker's Crisps
Parkin (a sort of strong ginger & treacle cake made this time of year in the northern counties)
Hovis Bread
McVities Hobnobs
Theakston's Old Peculiar (ale)
Robertson's Marmalade

So folks, what delicacies do you think would define the place where you live?

Jay.
Bacon, Sausage and salt cured country Ham for breakfast with buttermilk biscuits and sawmill gravy and scrambled eggs.

Chicken batter fried in bacon grease, sliced fried potatoes, sweet corn, green beans with bacon, chicken fried steak, sawmill gravy, buttermilk biscuits, ham steaks, pork steaks, meatloaf, cottage cheese, sugar beets, peas, carrots, pears, apples, peaches, fried bologna, American cheese, hot dogs, macaroni and cheese, batter fried fish, and sometimes beef stew or AMERICAN STYLE CHILI without too much chili powder.

Essential seasonings are Lawry’s seasoned salt, salt, pepper, YELLOW mustard, and catsup.

Deserts are sweet enough to kill a diabetic so they don’t eat desert. Pies ad cakes and ice cream.

Tea is as sweet as we can make it.

There is only one salad dressing which is Ott’s Famous Dressing.

We do not eat grits. We whipped those Southerners so we didn’t have to eat their grits.:)

• Love
Reactions: JOHN72

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Two more quintessentially British foodstuffs of loveliness would be Cumberland Sausages & Thornton's Toffee.

Many dishes mentioned above are totally new to me but then Wikipedia was a great help in putting me right.

Jay.

Reactions: JOHN72
White bbq sauce for chicken
Friend chicken
Soul food
Grits with bacon
Biscuits and gravy
Pintos and cornbread
Sweet mint tea
Coke, and everything carbonated drink is coke.
Conecuh sausage
Chow chow
Fried pork chops
Fried okra
Fried green tomatoes… with chow chow
Pecan pie
Fried catfish
Moon pies
Collard greens
Peach cobbler

I could go on and in and on…

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Interesting! Jay, how 'bout just Cornwall for, well, pasties and whatever else comes to mind?

For me, Dungeness crab and Peet's coffee. Thin crust pizza? Most everything else I will eat is available widely in the States. Although I just had a big meal, it's late, and my brain is already asleep, even though I am watching Big Blue run over Purdue.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Chow chow
That's gross Michael.....how could you eat dog meat ;)

After a second Google search I found this.....so you're forgiven...

'Chowchow is a pickled relish dish that was used to preserve summer vegetables for later in the year. Recipes for the relish are highly regional, and tend to be generational recipes, passed down through families.'

Jay.

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I'm from South Carolina, so...

Fried chicken
Biscuits and gravy
Chicken fried steak
Cube steak
Pulled pork BBQ
Macaroni and cheese
Fried oreos
Boiled peanuts
Potato salads - with copious portions of Duke's mayonnaise

Carolinians have no greater enemy than their arteries, which is why I entered my 20's while clocking in over 300 lbs. I was well on my way to needing a specially ordered - read: especially expensive - XXXL casket by age 45.

That's not to say we don't also have great food. Our climate and soil lend itself well to most vegetables. Folks around here simply tend not to devour them.

Reactions: newbroom and JOHN72

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Mother told me during the war she was regularly sent to the butcher's shop for horsemeat.....for the dog!

Apparently it was dyed green so as folk wouldn't be tempted but she told me certain folk did actually eat it :eek:

Jay.
We fed our dogs horse meat that wasn't dyed when I was a kid.... And my father had a decent hamburger and later learned the stand was shut down for serving....horsemeat.

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
Here in the Austin area it is BBQ and tacos. In this part of Texas BBQ is smoked beef brisket. There are pork and beef ribs as well as other smoked meats but brisket is 'the thing.'

Tacos of all kinds show up from straight up Mexican influence to Asian fusion to BBQ fusion to combinations of all. Makes for interesting and tasty options.

• Love
Reactions: jbfrady and JOHN72