What Foodstuffs Best Define the Place Where You Live?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
When I did the PM Secret Santa last year, I threw in a can of Vernors and a small bag of Better Made chips. Had to spread the Michigan love.

And a plug for Secret Santa to avoid the wraith of @mikethompson

Much appreciated, and I also agree in regards to Vernors

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
As a recent transplant to Oregon I haven't had much time to absorb the emblematic foods in the southern Rogue Valley but have noticed a love of pig, whether as pork, ham, or bacon. One supermarket has the better part of an aisle devoted to bacon and other pork related products. And game is certainly more evident than in Big City LA, gimme some more of that bison.

What I' am missing is good Chinese food. So far, the restaurants I've tried range from mediocre to "what were they thinking!!??" On the other hand really great Indian cuisine is readily available. Mexican is good, but somewhat "Americanized". Really good pizza, not gourmet pizza, but really good neighborhood pizza, good crust, good sauce, cheese and toppings.

I've had some really great meals at a few old favorites in Ashland, great breakfasts, sandwiches, and perhaps the best French fries I've had anywhere. And I've enjoyed a lot of fries everywhere.

One thing about SoCal is from a food standpoint you can get a wide swath of the best of everything, especially Asian cooking, because of the large Asian population, and there's a lot of variation from Islamic Chinese to Dim Sum, all done at a very high level. Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, name it, it's there.

The Mexican food scene is also vibrant, with everything from fine dining "Federal" style to street trucks serving fresh made high quality product.

And they have Langer's, the best and best know world wide, for it's pastrami sandwiches. And there's Pink's, which is a temple of the hot dog.

Plus, LA has become a major center for pizza, not just the usual neighborhood product, but really authentic Italian style and some really intriguing multicultural varieties.

And last but not least, LA is the place of origin for the French dip sandwich and the Supermarket, and California is the originator of the breakfast burrito among a lot of other foods.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
Nebraska/Midwest USofA:

Chili and cinnamon rolls (expert level if you put the chili on the cinnamon roll)
Bierrocks (meat and cabbage mix baked in a bread roll)
Runzas (fast food chain equivalent of bierrocks)
Fairbury Franks (the only hotdog served at Cornhusker games)
Switzel or Haymaker's Punch (gatorade before there was gatorade)
I'm from Eastern Colorado originally and have found that people give me disgusted looks whenever I mention chili and cinnamon rolls, even as nearby as Denver. Definitely a (small) regional delicacy limited to Eastern Colorado, Western Kansas, and Southern Nebraska, it seems....

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I'm from Eastern Colorado originally and have found that people give me disgusted looks whenever I mention chili and cinnamon rolls, even as nearby as Denver. Definitely a (small) regional delicacy limited to Eastern Colorado, Western Kansas, and Southern Nebraska, it seems....
In elementary school and junior high during the winter we'd get chili and cinnamon rolls as a combo a couple times a month - lucky for me I had a friend who didn't like cinnamon rolls and always gave me his!

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Ha! Who doesn't love a sweet sticky bun or three. I've recently got into some locally made 'Danish' pastries....damned sticky but damned nice too :col:

Jay.
If you ever find yourself in Cambridge you need to stop at Fitzbillies for Chelsea Buns, and the Cambridge Cheese Company for deli and cheese.

As for me, living in the Basel region of Switzerland...
  • melted cheese
  • sausages
  • sauerkraut - or if you want to pretend to be fancy, over the border in France, choucroute d'Alsace
  • Läckerli (spiced...biscuit similar to German lebkuchen)
  • Rösti (grated potato)
  • Zopf (braided bread similar to challah)
  • muesli
Generally not very inspired or inspiring cooking despite the Swiss having very good quality ingredients.

Hoping over the border Northwest to France gets us a lot more ingredients at better prices too, but Alsace cuisine is basically Germanic. And Northeast to Germany is more of the same ;)