PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've always been curious as to what the actors who've played Holmes were smoking. Mostly I've wondered what Jeremy Brett preferred to have in those churchwardens he was always puffing on, but it'd be interesting to know what Rathbone was smoking as well. Also I was kinda curiuos as to what Cedric the Entertainer was smoking in his Peterson for that new movie he did with Tom Hanks. Wondering if he kept it Peterson and had some Luxury Blend or Connoisseur's Choice in it or what.

bogglor

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2012
Mark Twain hiring bums to break pipes in for him, that's the greatest thing I've heard in a while. :rofl:

Aug 14, 2012
He probably smoked weed. (That sense of humor.) as far as 40 cigars a day, I believe it less than the frog who leaped into the next county. And he would have had to be able to smoke while asleep.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I know everyone was asking this a year ago, but Bertrand Russell predominately smoked Fribourg & Treyer Golden Mixture. (I don't have any sources to cite, but I read it in the past few months)

May 31, 2012
Pipes & Tobaccos magazine featured a great write-up of Twain in their Fall 1997 issue, there's a picture of several receipts circa 1880 from Salomon & DeLeeuw where along with buying a dozen or two corncobs, he'd buy Blackwell's Durham by the pound.
It seems Blackwell's Durham is the most likely candidate, but I don't think he limited himself either.
A couple of quotes:

"No good smoking tobacco in Europe - no Durham, Vanity F, Lone Jack - but I brought mine with me..."
"Gave away all my Durham & kept the worst brand in America - still it was of course better than any in Europe - Latakie is almost as good."
...and the thing about his filling technique is from an interview by Luke Sharp who sez

"I was much impressed by the ingenuity with which Mark Twain fills his corn-cob pipe. The humorist is an inspired Idler. He is a lazy man, and likes to do things with the least trouble to himself. He smokes a granulated tobacco which he keeps in a long check bag made of silk and rubber. When he has finished smoking, he knocks the residue from the bowl of the pipe, takes out the stem, places it in his vest pocket, like a pencil or a stylographic pen, and throws the bowl into the bag containing the granulated tobacco. When he wishes to smoke again (this is usually five minutes later) he fishes out the bowl, which is now filled with tobacco, inserts the stern, and strikes a light."
another good thread on a similar topic here:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/famous-pipe-men-and-their-tobacco

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
Haha, that is great. Imagine having "a man who doesnt amount to much" breaking in your pipes!

Status
Not open for further replies.