PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
I've been trying to google it to death about mark twain's choice of pipe tobacco. His tastes for cigars and pipes are well known. My question is what type of tobacco did he regularly smoke in his pipe? Do any members here have any light to shed on his consumption.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
not sure what Mark Twain smoked but would be interesting to find out. Also always wanted to know what Bertrand Russell smoked.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
Thanks arthur! I'll email them later tonight or in the morning. Just think it would be great to find a blend that he smoked ( or something similar).

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
Something cheap and cube cut. From what I've read he kept his tobacco in a long and thing sack, took the stem off his cob and tossed it in the bag and shook it. When he wanted to smoke he just took his cob out and put the stem back in.
I'd definitely like to know something similar to what he smoked.
Also, like it has been said already...
ditto on the bertrand russel Ohin3 !!!

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
Taken from here
In 1890, famed British poet and writer, Rudyard Kipling, visited Missouri's Mark Twain at his Elmira, N.Y. summer domicile. Kipling complemented the Hannibal native on his epicurean tastes and continental style, but chided Twain for putting fine, Turkish tobacco into a lowly American corncob pipe. "Ah, yes," Twain replied, eyes twinkling, "I see your point. But the tobacco will not go to waste." Samuel Langhorn Clemens paused for effect, "this, sir, is not a corncob pipe. It is a 'Missouri Meerschaum.' " Twain made his statement to Kipling neither as a jest nor a retort. Simply a fact.

Reactions: SaxonX

pipevilleworld

Might Stick Around
Apr 12, 2011
I also understand that Mark Twain would smoke close to 40 cigars a day; any of you folks smoke THAT often?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Mark Twain quotations on tobacco has a pic with a printed testimonial that you may be able to read if you enlarge the image.

tobaccoAd1909.jpg

menckenite

Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
I also understand that Mark Twain would smoke close to 40 cigars a day; any of you folks smoke THAT often?
I really doubt that. Let's assume he only slept for four hours a day. That's 20 hours a day to smoke 40 cigars. Can anyone here smoke 2 cigars in one hour?

pipevilleworld

Might Stick Around
Apr 12, 2011
Yeah... I'm pretty sure he was exaggerating... it was part of a piece he wrote in a letter after he began to get sickly.

pipevilleworld

Might Stick Around
Apr 12, 2011
I'm reading that it was closer to, and still rumored, 22 cigars a day so... started at the age of 8 or 9 too!

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
i always agreed with the Twain statement to never refrain from smoking when awake and to never smoke while sleeping. i am somewhat of a heavy smoke eater, and am pretty much always smoking something unless i am somewhere where i am told i can not smoke. but even that doesn't stop me quite often.

i think the actual number of cigars would depend greatly on the size of the cigar.

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
If any one is near Virgina City Nevada check at the Mark Twain museum there it is in his old newspaper office.

Status
Not open for further replies.