PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
With any shape, pots included, the dimensions of the outer bowl don’t necessarily coincide with the shape of the tobacco chamber. Not all pots, but most, have a “U” shaped chamber. I’ve owned pots that had a semi conical chamber that tapered toward the smoke hole. That is my preference. Too much screwing around with moving the tobacco toward the center to get an even burn.
If I were ordering a custom pot I would avoid the “U” shaped chamber.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
With any shape, pots included, the dimensions of the outer bowl don’t necessarily coincide with the shape of the tobacco chamber. Not all pots, but most, have a “U” shaped chamber. I’ve owned pots that had a semi conical chamber that tapered toward the smoke hole. That is my preference. Too much screwing around with moving the tobacco toward the center to get an even burn.
If I were ordering a custom pot I would avoid the “U” shaped chamber.
I agree - For me a pot should have a larger dimension “U”shaped chamber and fairly thick walls

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Some say, these are the finest smoking pipes, ever made.
:)

18609611-orig.jpg
And there you have it, the English brand that excelled at the Pot shape. Not always the sexiest, but wonderful smokers. Nice old Barling's Don.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I own several. Pete's and a Dunhill. A Doodler. Also have a few others from Mincer.

It's a shape that I am growing to like over time. Still haven't quite figured them out yet.

Reactions: carolinasmokes

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
If it's Peterson, I'll smoke it.

View attachment 81738

Funny you say this, not that I’m choosing a Peterson, but looking to get a pipe made with the same shape as this Peterson, as a sort of Pot style.

1E54EEC2-D2F0-4C4E-A5BC-7069B3EEEBB4.jpeg

I’m not one for the overly clunky shapes, as some Pots can look like.

Beauty is certainly in the Eyes of the Beholder, my Beauty of Elegance in Pots, would be smaller like this.

I’m not even sure if Kapp Royal 606 would even be technically considered a Pot. It just comes across to me like a smaller proportioned one.

C

carolinasmokes

Funny you say this, not that I’m choosing a Peterson, but looking to get a pipe made with the same shape as this Peterson, as a sort of Pot style.

View attachment 81750

I’m not one for the overly clunky shapes, as some Pots can look like.

Beauty is certainly in the Eyes of the Beholder, my Beauty of Elegance in Pots, would be smaller like this.

I’m not even sure if Kapp Royal 606 would even be technically considered a Pot. It just comes across to me like a smaller proportioned one.

That's a nice looking Pot.

Reactions: PipeIT
C

carolinasmokes

Well, I pulled the trigger on two more Vauen filter less pipes, I bought the smooth and sand blasted pair of Pots, they'll match my set of billiards. I'm done pipe shopping for a couple of years now, it'll be a while before I have these broken in and well seasoned. I would like to also thank everyone for sharing photos and comments, it was the push I needed. Here's what's coming in the mail...

IMG_5776__35099.1540928678 (1).jpgIMG_5817__87464.1540912275.jpg