PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Good morning all and happy Monday. Public holiday here today so I’m going to take it just chill for the day, might wander over to the beach and see what’s happening there but I’ll wait a while because we have a pretty solid sea fog rolling in at the moment. Smoking some Cabbies mix in a Castello #33 with a yeti full of coffee whilst I contemplate getting a commission pipe made 🤔
View attachment 179874

Are there a few pipe makers around in Tasmania?

Good morning all and happy Monday. Public holiday here today so I’m going to take it just chill for the day, might wander over to the beach and see what’s happening there but I’ll wait a while because we have a pretty solid sea fog rolling in at the moment. Smoking some Cabbies mix in a Castello #33 with a yeti full of coffee whilst I contemplate getting a commission pipe made 🤔
View attachment 179874
Lovely. Spring for you. This is my backyard
25CFB295-315A-49B6-BBF3-1517906F42AB.jpeg

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Are there a few pipe makers around in Tasmania?
UB, none that I’m aware of but I’m looking into what I need to maybe make a bowl or two but lots more study needed on my behalf. The only pipe maker that exists in Australia is Jeremiah of Bull Frog Pipes and he is based just outside Melbourne in Victoria and makes some very nice and quite unique pipes, well worth a look on instagram or fb if you’re interested.

Last edited:

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
All my respect for you using still a tri-x-pan in analogue manner. But why did you choose the vignette thing, dropped down - I suppose- in a later stage of digital processing of the negative slide.

As far as I remember this certain pentax lens hadn’t a built in (faulty) effect like that and was as clear as other lenses of the days of 24x36 mm Photography?
Thank you. The strange vignette you see is from a cheap quick way to preview a negative. I hold cell camera over a loupe on top of the neg, then invert the image in Lightroom, so the ring is just the bottom edge of the loupe. I don't have a good way to scan negatives at home and since I just developed the film last night, I haven't had the chance to drop them off at a lab to be scanned. Normally I would just use the cell pics to figure out which frames I'd want to print in my dark room, but since a lot of friends like to use my images for social media, I'll have them scanned. I should get into the habit of making contact sheets, but scanning is just easier.
PXL_20221106_224252119-01.jpeg

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
UB, none that I’m aware of but I’m looking into what I need to maybe make a bowl or two but lots more study needed on my behalf. The only pipe maker that exists in Australia is Jeremiah of Bull Frog Pipes and he is based just outside Melbourne in Victoria and makes some very nice and quite unique pipes, well worth a look on instagram or fb if you’re interested.

It takes some time to get into the fundamentals of pipe making, and some tools. A drill press is the most important for me to get the drilling right. Then you need a drill with rounded corners of 18 to 20 mm diameter, one for the draught hole about 3 to 4 mm and maybe a tapered one from 3 to 4 to drill into a rod of ebonite or acrylic stem. And fitting drill sizes to drill holes for a mortise to fit a ready made tenon to be glued in.

The rest of giving the wood and stem some shape you can do on a sanding disc, with files of different sizes the pieces clamped in a vice, sandpaper.

I think you can use the tools on the farm as well, besides from those special drill bits. And maybe some buffing wheels for the handhold drill with polish. And more than a few hours of time.

But thanks for information on where to get a nice australian pipe.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Thank you. The strange vignette you see is from a cheap quick way to preview a negative. I hold cell camera over a loupe on top of the neg, then invert the image in Lightroom, so the ring is just the bottom edge of the loupe. I don't have a good way to scan negatives at home and since I just developed the film last night, I haven't had the chance to drop them off at a lab to be scanned. Normally I would just use the cell pics to figure out which frames I'd want to print in my dark room, but since a lot of friends like to use my images for social media, I'll have them scanned. I should get into the habit of making contact sheets, but scanning is just easier.
View attachment 179905

Now I got it. It alludes a bit to the old school kind of Black and white Photography.

Yes contact sheets would be nice, but if you’re going to scan the negative anyways it doesn’t make sense. There must be some good film scanners around eBay, for cheap.

I skipped my darkroom in 2005. Sold all the stuff to a friend. He uses it until today for his huge 4x5inch B&W filmsheets and bigger formats in a Sinar.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
This pic has my vote for the November Pipe Picture of the Month (which should be a thing)!
I always thought a member spotlight of the month would be neat. A couple photos of their pipes and set up (maybe the usual smoking area) and some interview questions.

For example: does @JimInks marinate his chicken legs or use a sauce? Is it the drum or a tomahawk with the thigh?

Does @cosmicfolklore accessorize his own pipes? If so, what is his preferred look?

Just some thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.