PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Thanks for the reply @jiminks . It says it's Syrian on the label, but my experience isn't broad enough to really make out whether or not what I'm tasting is actually Syrian or Cypriot. It's not smoked or leathery tasting, it has kind of a sweet, resiny taste that really comes out when I retrohale. It makes me think of incense that has a pine quality to it. The tin has a fruity vinegar scent to it, kind of wine like.

Big picture, it probably doesn't matter. I enjoy the blend, and just wondered if you knew definitively (or anyone else for that matter!) if it is Syrian, it's likely to be the only Syrian I ever taste!

And now I'm moving on to some Penny Farthing in my Danmore 6025, Oom Paul shaped sitter with an ebonite shank and military mount.
@Jacob74 I still think Latakia sounds like a cheap car made in Syria before the uprising:)
I read that Latakia lost all its trade when civil war broke out; it had been a major shipping port until then...

Jun 16, 2018
Athens, Greece
Weinig no 7 again. In a -made in Poland- Mr Brog pipe. Many begginer pipe smokers buy Mr Brog pipes, as they want to build their rotation set fast. So did I. I have 3 of them, 2 are modified and repaired. I smoke them regularly. Would I buy them again if I started now, but with the "experience" I have? Well, I don't know but I guess that if this hypothesis could be reality, there are other things I would care about, more than pipes.
The brass tamper is made (in Greece) by KG - Kostas Gourvelos pipes. The spike is magnetically attached to the main body.

Be all well good people.
Courage. Weekend is coming our way. My My, Hey Hey.

Weinig No7 in Mr Brog.JPG

lonepiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2017
Central Virginia
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Going to see these guys at Cromford Mill in May:
Might take one of my Jamestown pipes; need to make sure I've got plenty of pipeweed as I'll probably demolish a packet:)
Any suggestions on suitable soldier's rations to take with me???
2D4D0CB8-D799-4FFB-974A-3FCB33379DB3.png
-25C in Québec right now ❄️⛄

lonepiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2017
Central Virginia
Got the snow shoveling done, and the sun is out! Gonna sit on the patio in the sun and have a smoke. Smoking C&D baccy mix: 50/50 Burley and Izmir Turkish in my MM Country Gentlemen Cob. Cup of black tea.View attachment 123275
Sounds tasty. I’m starting to experiment more with Turkish tobacco. I like the mug as well.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Not far from finishing this bowl of year 2014 Solani 660 Silver Flake in a medium bend smooth paneled 2017 Celebi Turkish Meerschaum with a tapered gold and black swirl acrylic stem. There are differences between the 2014 and current production, which is mellower. Going to smoke a little more before adding an update to my review.
Celebri_meer.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks for the reply @jiminks . It says it's Syrian on the label, but my experience isn't broad enough to really make out whether or not what I'm tasting is actually Syrian or Cypriot. It's not smoked or leathery tasting, it has kind of a sweet, resiny taste that really comes out when I retrohale. It makes me think of incense that has a pine quality to it. The tin has a fruity vinegar scent to it, kind of wine like.

Big picture, it probably doesn't matter. I enjoy the blend, and just wondered if you knew definitively (or anyone else for that matter!) if it is Syrian, it's likely to be the only Syrian I ever taste!

And now I'm moving on to some Penny Farthing in my Danmore 6025, Oom Paul shaped sitter with an ebonite shank and military mount.
That sounds like Syrian to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.