Status
Not open for further replies.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Going to see these guys at Cromford Mill in May:
Might take one of my Jamestown pipes; need to make sure I've got plenty of pipeweed as I'll probably demolish a packet:)
Any suggestions on suitable soldier's rations to take with me???

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
Might take one of my Jamestown pipes; need to make sure I've got plenty of pipeweed as I'll probably demolish a packet:)
003-293-0012.jpeg

:col:

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Smokingpipes.com have it in stock; I'll have to get some for the Redcoat event. I like the tin art - I could save it for my loose Gawith Hoggarth pipe baccy!
I'll be wearing my smoking jacket (AKA redcoat uniform); I think 50grams of pipe baccy should cover the 2 day event as the Jamestown clay has a small bowl. I could get some C&D Yorktown to smoke in my clays as well...
That tin of Patriot Flake only works out at £10.77...

Carol

Lifer
Dec 15, 2021
NW NM, USA
Hardtack and jerky

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty cinnamon raisin French toast and orange slices lunch, and am just passing the half way mark on this bowl of year 2021 Solani 660 Silver Flake in a 1980s White Pipe straight, smooth octagonal paneled billiard meerschaum with an acrylic yellow cream colored saddle stem. The friend who sent me this blend thinks the recipe was changed. I'll find out for sure.
WhitePipe_Paneled_Billiard.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I'm enjoying some Aug 2017 MacBaren "the solent mixture" in my WO Larsen half rusticated bulldog

@jiminks do you feel this vintage of Solent actually has Syrian Latakia, or is it past the run out date?
That's around the time Mac Baren was running out of Syrian. Does it mention which it is on the label? If you are getting a wine-like essence from it, it probably is Syrian. I'd have to try it to give you a definite answer.

Carol

Lifer
Dec 15, 2021
NW NM, USA
Just got the redcoat on ready to smoke some more Gawith Scotch Mix in a clay...
I'm thinking of taking one of my Jamestown clays with me when I go to see the Redcoats at Cromford Mill this year.
Hmmm. It occurred to me that I was thinking about what the Americans would have taken as soldier rations. I have studied the American Revolutionary War to some extent. But from this side of the great pond. I have no clue what a Redcoat would have carried. Mea culpa to my British brother. :)

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
That's around the time Mac Baren was running out of Syrian. Does it mention which it is on the label? If you are getting a wine-like essence from it, it probably is Syrian. I'd have to try it to give you a definite answer.
Thanks for the reply @jiminks . It says it's Syrian on the label, but my experience isn't broad enough to really make out whether or not what I'm tasting is actually Syrian or Cypriot. It's not smoked or leathery tasting, it has kind of a sweet, resiny taste that really comes out when I retrohale. It makes me think of incense that has a pine quality to it. The tin has a fruity vinegar scent to it, kind of wine like.

Big picture, it probably doesn't matter. I enjoy the blend, and just wondered if you knew definitively (or anyone else for that matter!) if it is Syrian, it's likely to be the only Syrian I ever taste!

And now I'm moving on to some Penny Farthing in my Danmore 6025, Oom Paul shaped sitter with an ebonite shank and military mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.