PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Unable to sleep last night I pulled down my well-worn copy of Nash Buckingham's "The Shootinest Gent'man," and turned to my favorite story therein titled "Play House." What a talent for tale-telling that man had!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I'm currently plodding through the complete works of Edgar A. Poe on my Kindle. I just finished "Bernice", a short story I had never read. Fascinating and horrifying! The Phillip Glass "Dracula" soundtrack works well with this story too.

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
I am reading "The Mammoth Book of Pirates." I know it sounds childish, but essentially it is a collection of actual journal entries from infamous pirates that roamed the seas between the 1600's and the 1800's.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Halfway through two books: The Collected Short Stories of W. Somerset Maugham Volume 1 (of 4), and George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. After watching the HBO series Game of Thrones I decided to bite the bullet and read the books.

toadshade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 9, 2014
I'm restarting my pipe habit after a 30 year layoff. Thinking of The Voyage of the Beagle, by Charles Darwin,as a good read to start a new journey.
toadshade

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
My current reads are: The Analysis of Mind (Bertrand Russell), The Crime at Black Dudley (Margery Allingham), Broad-Sword and Single-Stick (R. G. Allanson-Winn, C. Phillipps-Wolley) and a few other papers for school.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Complete works of Edgar A. Poe. Still plodding along. When Poe is good, he's really good, but there is a lot of mediocre stuff in this "complete works". Maybe an anthology would have been better...or "The Best of Poe".

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay guys, bear with me, if this is a little esoteric, but I'm reading "The Albertine Workout," not an exercise

book, but poetry about Proust's work, by Anne Carson, from New Directions. I like it because it is both

poetry and an expository discussion, with some literary history thrown in. Like many readers, I find Proust

pretty oppressive, but this piece about him is fairly interesting. Okay, we're cleared for landing where the

air is breathable.

gunslinger

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2014
Skeleton Crew by Stephen King on a nice quiet Saturday afternoon to enjoy a book and a bowl (smoking Haunted Bookshop which made me think about bumping this thread).
@cobguy

Did you finish The Talisman? If you liked it you will want to read the sequel, Black House (it's certainly NOT about the pipe tobacco though, haha).

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
The Great Bridge
McCullough's first really epic history and, to my mind, one of his best. The story of the Brooklyn Bridge is the story of America at the time of it's 100th birthday, more or less. Riveting stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.