Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Just finished a quick Cussler book, and The Forgotten, by Balducci. I plan to read the Jack Reacher series, by Lee Child, right after I open them for Christmas.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
@Zonomo Yes, I read Pursuit of God earlier. Tozer was a good man. His books have a clarity to them like no others. I appreciate that he has no doctrinal axe to grind...just good biblical stuff. I have lots of favorite dead guys too.

englishdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
Denver, CO
I am reading "The Generals" by Thomas E. Ricks. As a soldier myself, I find this fascinating reading. However I think that any thoughtful person in America today would find the history of military leadership in America since World War II to be a worthwhile read. Ricks writes very well, and the book is broken down into sections for each major conflict (WW II, Korea, Vietnam, & Iraq), with each chapter centered around one or two generals whose leadership style is examined. His research is top notch, and while you will recognize the names of some of our leaders, you may find yourself surprised that some generals have been lost to history despite their excellent contribution to military doctrine.

eibhir

Can't Leave
Jan 16, 2013
United States
I'm reading 2 books right now. Feed by Mira Grant; it's a great series about zombies, friendship and life. Cold Days by Jim Butcher; I love this series! Harry gets in and out of so many scrapes. Plus I want his dog. :D

kenoshakid

Might Stick Around
Feb 27, 2013
Recently finished V. by my favorite fiction writer, Thomas Pynchon (that's him in my avi). Hoping to finish Delillo's Underworld soon. Also currently reading Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land and Richard Calder's Dead Girls, Dead Boys, Dead Things.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Just finished Dostoevsky's The idiot, Charles Dickens "Great Expectations" now I'm reading Dostoevsky's "The Brothers Kamrazov" One of the great Russian writers, but whoever translated it makes all the difference in how it flows together. I work in a hospital overnights and I mainly get paid 18.50/hr to sit and watch people sleep and read. If only it were the good ol days when you could smoke in the hospital behind the nurses desk.

smokeybiker

Lurker
Mar 27, 2013
Just finished reading The Dude and the Zen Master - by Jeff Bridges and Bernie Glassman. Recommend it for anyone looking to chill out and look at the bigger picture of life.

tonguebitepipecleaner

Might Stick Around
Apr 26, 2013
For the second time round, ''Children Of Hurin'', by the incredible Mr. Tolkien. If you're a LOTR fan, and you like tragedy and Shakespeare, you owe it to yourself to read this (skip the wordy introduction if like me, you're not as well versed in his legendarium)

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
I'm bouncing around a bit with finals coming up quickly but still taking some time to read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
Just finished "My Sixty Years On The Plains" by William Thomas Hamilton. Written in 1905 about trappers. If you enjoy that kind of thing I highly recommend this book.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
now I'm reading Dostoevsky's "The Brothers Kamrazov" One of the great Russian writers, but whoever translated it makes all the difference in how it flows together.
A true masterpiece of literature, imo. If you're reading the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation, you've got the right one...again, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.