PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"Leaving The Planet By Space Elevator" by Philip Ragan & Bradley C. Edwards, PhD. There are lots of science fiction novels with plots involving around space elevators but few nonfiction accounts of the research & technology written for the layman to read. I'm finding this to be quite interesting so far.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
David A. Clary - George Washington's First War: His Early Military Adventures (2011)

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Donkey Hotee, by that spanish guy. I might have picked the wrong translation but there were 15 versions to choose from. Maybe buying the cheapest wasn't the best idea.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
Robert Middlekauff - The Glorious Cause: The American Revolution, 1763-1789

(1982, 2005 revised and expanded)

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"Footprints In The Dew, Damon Chub Anderson And The Unsolved Mullendore Murder" by Dale R. Lewis. Just out, about the unsolved 1970 murder of the heir apparent to the 300,000 acre Cross Bell Ranch that stretched from Oklahoma into Kansas, and the #1 suspect who was a fugitive for 16 yrs. The only other book written about this case was "The Mullendore Murder Case written in 1976 by Jonathan Kwitny, Pulitzer Prize nominee; a very hard book to find today. Fascinating how two generations of the Mullendore family built the ranch by hand from nothing; how the third generation got over extended & almost lost the ranch; & how his confidante & best friend/bodyguard became the #1 suspect & a cowboy on the run for 16 yrs.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
I just finished "The Stars My Destination" by Alfred Bester (and found it incredibly enjoyable). I'm starting "Danse Macabre" by Uncle Stevie but I may change over to "A Morning for Flamingos" by James Lee Burke depending on whether or not the libraries copy comes back before I'm finished with King's massive tome.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Dune. For the nth time :)
Just finished the book itself, going through the appendices. Already got Dune Messiah on the bedside table.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I read some of Sue Grafton novels in the 1990s known better as the alphabet series of Kinsey Millhone novels, from A to (currently) X. Rereading them now and it is wonderful to see the technological advances from mid 1980s to current technology. Quick reads and probably better suited to women but still page turners.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
Max Brooks - World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War (2006)

I haven't seen the movie.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
Connie Willis - Blackout (2010)
In the near future, time travel is a tool used by Oxford historians. During one particularly busy semester, three graduate students all end up within miles, and months, of each other, in WWII England when something goes wrong with the time-travel technology. The students find themselves in London during the Blitz with no way to get back home to the twenty-first century.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
World War Z - the book was far better than the movie
Just finished:

Finders-Keepers, Steven King - I'd give it a 6 rating
Current:

Sci-fi/Horror - The Border, Robert McCammanon (Swan Song author) Pretty strong, 25% in.
51emqdcV8FL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
Beowulf, translated by Seamus Heaney (1999)
"The poem called Beowulf was composed some time between the middle of the seventh and the end of the tenth century of the first millennium, in the language that today is called Anglo-Saxon or Old English."

Status
Not open for further replies.