PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I just went out to purchase pure grain alcohol for a salt treatment (and maybe a retort for the future), but in VT, you need to sign your life away - providing all sorts of ID and forms to fill out.
Looking for inexpensive alternatives - I am hoping an expert here can set me straight...
1) One site I saw said to use denatured alcohol (they repeated this over and over). But unless I am mistaken, this is akin to paint thinner, seems harmful.
2) Others have said clear Rum with high alcohol content (not sure if 40% - 80 proof is high enough)
3) Others have said that rubbing alcohol is fine.
I've been scouring this forum and the 'net for a crystal clear answer on what type of alcohol to use for cleaning a pipe, and so far I don't see a clear consensus - hoping this thread will resolve it once and for all...
I want to do it right, but I am also trying not to spend a fortune cleaning a cheap drug store pipe...

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
You want to only use something that you would pu in your own mouth, I use everclear in my retort and for tough cleans, otherwise I use dark rum as it sweetens the pipe and cleans my stems well.

johninkc

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2012
Go with the highest alcohol content you can find: 1 proof = 1/2 of 1% water.
Water is your pipes enemy. The lower the proof, the more water.
151 rum is 75.5% alcohol, 24.5% water. That should be the backup if you cannot get everclear.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I think you could use most any 80 or higher proof alcohol that you can drink.I use Barcadi 151 rum.A bottle cost a few dollars and last a long time.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
I use Everclear and one pint has lasted me a very long time. Of course, I'm lucky to clean my pipes once a year. I have used the higher alcohol % rubbing alcohol with no ill effects.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
Grain alcohol is not available here, so I use IBL alcohol (Isopropyl), gives very good results in cleaning but very hard for the stems so be careful.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I know there's a lot of opinions on this subject and suspect that it is really a matter of personal choice. So far I've only used 91% ISO alcohol and the bowls, once cleaned and dry, smell nice and sweet. When I called Mr Lee to order my retort he said to just use 99% ISO if I could find it and 91% if I couldn't. I've had no luck at finding the 99% yet.
Since your doing an old estate pipe maybe this would be a great time to experiment and see which/what works for you.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I don't use a retort. Everclear and Isopropyl (91%) are what I use, and I find them very reliable. I often use the medical alcohol immediately after I ream. It evaporates quickly and does a fantastic job of taking other moisture with it. This is why high % alcohol is used in swimmer's ear drops--it helps rid your ear canal of trapped water.
Either way, I recommend using the highest proof/percentage you can find, not only for strength purposes but also due to the evaporation factor. Briar does not like residual moisture. You want a spirit that's like a high school quarter back on prom night: in and out quickly.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks everyone for your input so far. Not a clear consensus, but still this info has helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.