PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JSPiper71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
Hello All, a good friend came by yesterday to enjoy the early spring here in Toronto with a pipe on my back deck. He surprised me with the most amazing find from a local antique dealer. It's a WWII era sealed 2oz tin of Dunhill Sliced Rolls! The lid's popped off due to the swelling, but the Canadian custom's stamp is still there and dated 1942. If anyone has any history on this or has seen this kind of tin before, please let me know.Dunhill Slice Rolls 1942 1.jpegDunhill Slice Rolls 1942 2.jpegDunhill Slice Rolls 1942 3.jpegDunhill Slice Rolls 1942 4.jpeg

JSPiper71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
I now have 3
That is soooo cool. More pics please! Did you smoke it?
I'm struggling with this. I now have 3 very old tins of tobacco that I've acquired. I know most of you are all about the experience, life's short...smoke that kind of mentality. I struggle with opening such an amazing antique, but need to get over that hump. I agree there is no point sitting on it, but it's still a tough one for me.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I now have 3

I'm struggling with this. I now have 3 very old tins of tobacco that I've acquired. I know most of you are all about the experience, life's short...smoke that kind of mentality. I struggle with opening such an amazing antique, but need to get over that hump. I agree there is no point sitting on it, but it's still a tough one for me.
If you need help I’m sure there’s probably 1 or 2 guys who would be willing to help you rip off the band aid 😉

But yeah, I totally get what you mean. I haven't had that feeling with tobaccos but definitely have with pipes.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Nice! A time capsule like no other.

Personal opinion, this is the kind of thing to be shared among friends or sold. Part of the reason is that there's a good chance that if you open it it will only stay good for a few days/weeks at most. My own experience with old tobacco is just with 15 year old tobacco, which was sublime at first and then lost all taste very soon.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
I now have 3

I've had similar luck and from experience I'd recommend either selling it and making hay while make it you may or popping it now and enjoying it.

Tobacco has an incredibly long shelf life but it's not eternal. Blends start to go downhill around the 40 year mark if not earlier. So this tin being 82 years old you may pop it and be somewhat disappointed.

Then again how often do you get to imbibe in something that's 82 years old?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I now have 3

I’ve got vintage and antique unsmoked pipes that I am content to have just as they are. I also have a few vintage tins, ‘50’s and ‘60’s, that I’m happy to leave intact. Empty old tins are a dime a dozen.

Having smoked a number of superannuated blends I’ve found precious few worth the effort. They are almost always wraiths, long dead corpses, unearthed. So I’ve no interest in unearthing the dead.

The belief that tobacco just improves and improves with age is delusional. Everything in the universe peaks and fades.

Still, if curiously is important enough, satisfy it.

But do so because it’s what you want, not because of what others want. With something like this, who cares what someone else wants?

It’s none of their, nor my, concern.