PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
John has it. Traditional-size bagel=good. Mini (that's a roll, not a bagel) and humongous (too light and fluffy) bagel=bad.

Now, is lox best from the deli, or from the supermarket?
Shouldn't you be making that at home, Dan??

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Shouldn't you be making that at home, Dan??
Guilty.
When we bought our house, we were told that there was was a stream on it that had a salmon run. Turned out not to be true, bastages. So we're going to build one, but since we're 120 miles from the ocean, there's some permitting involved. That and getting the rabbis to agree on what makes a proper salmon stream means it will be a little while until we're up and running with a lox factory.

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
I've read several posts stating that Carter Hall in the tin is preferable to the pouch.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Oh, more complex than I thought. And also did not know the blessing (and inspection) need take place before the catch. So, depends on your deli and your local super market... I've had good and bad from both.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Getting back on subject, in my dealings with the pipe tobacco production world, I've never come across a situation where the bulk stock is different than what gets tinned. I'm not saying that it hasn't, or doesn't happen, just that I've never heard of it. So the any perceived differences between bulk and tinned tobacco would have to either be batch-to-batch variations or the fact that tinned tobacco, especially with some age on it, may have been in a low-oxygen/anaerobic environment. That is if there are any active microorganisms at work in that tin.
That and $16.50 will get you a damned good lox and bagel sandwich at the Famous Fourth Street Deli in Philly.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
Woodsroad: Bastages? You speak "Dangerously"?
paddypiper: Had no clue Kraft made peanut butter. Do they really, or is it lost in String Theory?
mso489: You nailed the stuff that was on my mind. Even if from the same batch the handling is way different.

May 4, 2015
Even if from the same batch the handling is way different.
For sure. BUT, if you're buying a pound at a time or something, jar it in 4oz jars packed tight, let it sit a year and you're at "tinned" conditions most likely.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
Tom, that has been my plan on a few blends. I also may resort (not that it's a bad idea) to mixing some heavy aros with some tobies like CH or SWR

May 4, 2015
If they're too heavy, some straight burley might be a good idea. deathmetal is an expert on this strategy. CH is a pretty good idea as well, though, so long as the cocoa topping doesn't intrude on what you're mixing with. It's also not really all that cheap, all things considered.

glassjapan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2017
I can't speak on Bob's flake but there is a difference with Full Virginia Flake. The tins are usually thin short smooth flakes. In the bulk boxes they're thicker cut and longer flake. I've gotten some that were smooth and others that are a more rough cut to them.To me they taste the same but difference being the bulk boxes that I've had seem fresh off the presses. A little harsher and rough around the edges. The tins seem like they've had a little more time in can, and can be a little more smooth tasting. That difference can make one more appealing than the other depending what you're looking for. After a bunch of years aging there really isn't much difference to me.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
Tom, it used to be that the CB's, CH's, and SWR's were less expensive than the B&M (Before the net) blends. Now they are on a par and you can find many cheaper blends. I'm not telling you anything new, I am sure. In my day SWR was like Bugler. Roll it. Smoke it. Now I can tell the difference and actually "get" some of the flavors I missed back then.
On a side note I found out our Pooch Willy likes Mango Tango. Fargin' Icehole ripped up my foil that I kept some in. I doubt he ate much if any, but I know the smell enticed him. As Maroni said, this means Fargin' War!

May 4, 2015
Tom, it used to be that the CB's, CH's, and SWR's were less expensive than the B&M (Before the net) blends. Now they are on a par and you can find many cheaper blends
Crazy, right? Carter Hall runs ~2.50/oz with not a lot of variance. You can get Stokkebye cube cut for ~1.80/oz, and that's the regular price. On sale, you're talking ~1.42.
Crazy.

May 4, 2015
Kind of insane that you can get something like Old Joe Krantz, Super Balkan or Billy Budd for cheaper than Carter Hall...
Makes me wonder why CH is my big jar blend. Hmm. I need to take a moment and reassess what I'm doing with my life.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
If you're just looking for a jar of CH, WVsmokeshop has it at 30$, which with shipping is the same as SPC, not including shipping,
The P&C CH Match Blend has some nice reviews. I may give that a try. A full pound for 26$ is pretty nice.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
Forsooth! I feel the harbinger of doom in my plan to save a few bucks. Thanks for the intel.

Status
Not open for further replies.