PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
The only difference I've noticed between tin and bulk is the moisture content. But realistically, the moisture can be different in two tins of the same brand. So, no help.
Pax

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I cant see how they could be identical with such a difference in air-exposure.
This sounds right to me. Same stuff, but one comes off the line and plunk! goes into a tin. Another goes into a bag, and those are gas-permeable.
I also may resort (not that it's a bad idea) to mixing some heavy aros with some tobies like CH or SW
Not a terrible idea. A heavy aro can be diluted with an easy Burley mix like Cube Cut Burley and still retain its flavor, just less intense.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I am nothing if not utterly predictable.
In fact, by rumor, I am an experiment in computer language generation. Beep!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Glassjapan, your observations on FVF are exactly what I find. My reckoning is that the tins sit on the shelves for some time while the bulk boxes fly out of the door as soon as they arrive.
This would also explain why their bulk is a lot more moist than the tinned. I have often seen crystals on the flakes out of a tin but have never seen them on flakes from a bulk box.
Regards,
Jay.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
While there may be little difference between tinned and bulked blends, there is almost always a difference between ready rubbed, flakes and plugs. I invariably prefer the Kakes and flakes. It helps that I enjoy the ritual of slicing and/or rubbing them out.
Pax

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
The bulks I buy are just not available in a tin. 5100 and the like. Otherwise, I like tins for storage.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
I knew it was a Canadian Conspiracy. Then I should smoke my Canadian pipes more. Read some Sir Gilbert Parker (Canadian MP in days of yore).

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
At one time bulk SPC Plum Pudding was produced by Russ O, while the tinned version was produced by Sutliff. I think Sutliff is now the sole producer, but it was one of those really rare occasions where bulk and tinned were produced by separate facilities. I was gifted a partial tin first and then ordered a half pound of the bulk. I definitely felt there were differences, I liked the bulk version better and that was before I even knew they were made by two different parties. I'll admit the difference was pretty slight though.

May 4, 2015
Tom. Yore has a great tin note, but lacked, I felt, in flavor.
It is certainly a mild aromatic. The tobacco flavor is excellent though with just hints of what went in to the sauce. It's my preferred style of aromatic, but I could see that if one was expecting a full-on Christmas desert experience they might be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.