PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I just received what I believe to be the latest of the samples. It includes "Bengal Slices." No "War Horse Plug" was included. I'm sure it's been tasted and tested by a small number of people but, not sent out in the sample packages. Could be wrong but, I've seen no reviews of the latest incarnation of "War Horse Plug."

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Hmm, based on what I'm reading here an argument can me made that the Dunhill blends and Balkan Sobranie are pretenders to the "originals". Should they carry a label saying "new and not original"?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
There is a product using the "War Horse" name, correct?
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/version
I'm of the older school where "caning" or, in the case a particularly spurious attack, a duel with the gentleman across the aisle was a respected response.
Gentlemen dueled for insults of honor, not disagreements.
These are Mother Theresa defenses:
Standard owns the marque, they can do with it as they choose.
As for Mother Teresa, she may have been a somewhat unpleasant person, in person, but she chose to do something more with her life than pick pubes out of her teeth.
Would you hold GM to the same standard? Criticism does not limit itself by who owns what or how much it cost them.
And I never met Mother Theresa.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
And I never met Mother Theresa.
LOL!
Incorrect, no version of the War Horse Bar has been delivered to anyone.

No "War Horse Plug" was included. I'm sure it's been tasted and tested by a small number of people but, not sent out in the sample packages.
Not yet. It doesn't yet exist. From what I've been told, this is the next stage, one in which Russ is intensely involved, because the process has be be worked out, and modified versions of the machinery to make it will have to be fabricated. So it could be a while before the bar goes out for testing.
As for the RR, the backers stated, in print, and more than a few times, that the RR is a less powerful version of what the bar will be. And since no extant versions of the RR have come to light, there's no way to know whether the original ready cut was the same power punch as the bar.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
And since no extant versions of the RR have come to light, there's no way to know whether the original ready cut was the same power punch as the bar.
The main reason people are making ruckus here is to encourage the makers of the bar to make it like the original: a high bar of terror/nicotine, no pun intended.
I'm also hoping the bar idea migrates to other blends. An OJK bar would be something to behold.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
sable: You are right. Of course you know that. I had forgotten a conversation I had with one of the partners sometime ago. The machinery is indeed slowing the development of the plug.
Aside: Sadly I must now shoulder some large glass and tromp into the elements to see if the Trumpeters are being photogenic. That and feed the critters. So, please guys, keep these threads alive so that I have something to come home to in a couple of hours.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Aside: Sadly I must now shoulder some large glass and tromp into the elements to see if the Trumpeters are being photogenic. That and feed the critters. So, please guys, keep these threads alive so that I have something to come home to in a couple of hours.
I am thoroughly jealous. I'm off to work. Will check back to see where this continues to go.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
There is no possible way that anyone can produce an exact match of any blend from years ago. If the same equipment, same building, same blenders were brought out of retirement it is impossible to make an exact match. Any blend that has been produced for decades has changed. Tobacco crops change from year to year so producers gradually introduce newer crops to the blend. I commend these gentlemen for attempting to bring back these blends so that we can experience a long lost blend. I am looking forward to trying these and hope they all rekindle something for those that may have smoked them years ago. If I had no interest in them or they didn't appeal to me I wouldn't bother with multiple negative posts.
f3eb4c443163c53ee875e1db9abaf6df.jpg

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Allow me to step in here.
I don't like seeing this great forum descend into mayhem. It is not good for our community and it certainly does NOT improve the lot of the Standard Tobacco project that so many of you have had a hand in. Jesse is correct: The War Horse sample that went out to a few of our friends here on PM was never intended to be a replacement for, a homage to, or cheap substitute for the original War Horse Bar. It is an wonderful, enjoyable and unique blend. It will be available for purchase on or around December 1st. And in light of impending draconian FDA regulations, now overdue, that will forever ban the introduction of new pipe tobacco blends and brands from the US market, it will secure our ability to offer up (in the very near future) our best effort at a faithful reproduction of the much heralded War Horse Bar.
Perhaps it is a case of our critics not seeing the forest for the trees, but there is method to our madness. If we have offended sensibilities, then let me say that I am grateful that there are sensibilities such as these to offend. It means that someone is standing firm on the context of history. That said, if we were to stand on such principles, then the possibility of bringing a faithful reproduction of War Horse Bar to market could soon be extinguished forever. I am not willing to let that happen.
It is my hope that War Horse Ready Cut brings a smile to the faces of my friends here at Pipes magazine. And that our War Horse Bar kicks them in the ass...hard.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The main reason people are making ruckus here is to encourage the makers of the bar to make it like the original: a high bar of terror/nicotine, no pun intended.
Except that it went farther than that. It went to questioning the character and motives of the people involved in this enterprise. And, the criticism was based on zero direct experience. That isn't right.
Dan, thanks for stepping in.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This book excerpt has an interesting reference to War Horse. Has anyone read this (Shades of Deceit, Mary Larkin)
https://books.google.com/books?id=8sszAgAAQBAJ&pg=PT115&lpg=PT115&dq=warhorse+plug+tobacco&source=bl&ots=kzpEDBzm__&sig=N-almRfJDbv38szztJ5c7O6fFsE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CHQQ6AEwDmoVChMIiMjnlbzyxwIVihgeCh38ZQUN#v=onepage&q=warhorse%20plug%20tobacco&f=false

twoonefive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2014
Willow Grove, PA
pipesandpens.com
I had no idea what a War Horse Plug was before Dan and Simon mentioned bringing it back. I don't think the dozen people who have heard of it and the three who are still alive who smoked it where going to be enough to make the new STP brand a financial success.
I am going to try the blend only because Dan and Simon are the people behind it. If I like it, I will cellar it like all blends I enjoy. And if not, then I wont.

thebadkitty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 29, 2012
Albany, Oregon
What twoonefive says describes my feeling better than I've been able to.

I hear MrLC's point, I really do, and I greatly respect his dedication to tobacco history and appreciate his posting some here.
I also think the whole WarHorse project is one of the best things I've read about on the forum, especially when woodsroad said:

"...I am grateful that there are sensibilities such as these to offend." This is the woodsroad that we've all come to love to read.
I'll only be trying a few of the blends, but that's only because I'm not a fan of Latakia (it's alright, I've accepted it and I'm becoming okay with it). I'm looking forward to trying the Bar when it's available because, well just because I think It'll be cool as all hell. If I don't like it, I'll put it in a jar and hold onto it until these discussions of the last couple weeks are legendary. Maybe someone will want to reproduce it in 2074...
(I know I don't usually don't post like this, but I nearly cut my head off shaving today and I think I'm a little foggy headed until the blood pressure builds back up)

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Thanks, Dan, for the sample you provided me. I came in to post of my experience with that sample.
I have no experience with the "original" War Horse. But man, I like this one, regardless.
I was down to smoking Prince Albert, my finances decimated by the wedding expenses of my wife's daughter, whom I used to term "step daughter," until the decimation of my finances, which make me want to make someone else own her, entirely, for a while. (Kidding. She's a great kid, and I'd give up tobacco purchases much, much longer for her... soon as I figure out how long that is).
Dan stepped in to end my baccy poverty, sending me a sample of War Horse shred. And as I said, I'd been limited to the occasional Prince Albert, my "when all else fails" tobacco, because here it costs only $3.99 a box, it stays lit when you light it, it's mild, the way I like it, smokes dry and cool, and has no bad taste.
Take that now, and add, richer, fuller bodied, longer lasting taste... and in my experience, you're beginning to describe this War Horse shred.
Woodsroad had tried to set me up with a tobacco that was in the neighborhood of tobaccos I preferred. Boy. Nailed it. War Horse? Nicer, more gratifying, long-lingering taste than PA.Once lit, stays lit. No relight necessary after the charm. Just like PA in that regard but burns longer, slower than PA, which I appreciate. PA didn't get me through my commute to work. War Horse, I pull over to finish for 10, 15 minutes before entering the "no-smoking zone" of our smoke-free property. Nice smoke to the end.
Liked reading the enclosed literature that came with it. They call it an "Everyman" blend. And I sort of get why. I felt like its place was in a outdoor setting, whether that be as a lumberjack on break, or as a gardener, or a fisherman or just me under the table umbrella out back, laid back and watchging squirrels rattling round and round one of the walnut trees.
Also read in that sheet: "Last sold in the UK in the early 1980s. Is a robust tobacco, consisting of earthy, hearty Burley, ripe red Virginias, a good share of smoke, spicy dark-fired Kentucky and a bit of Perique for a hint of sweetness. It has a very light top-note that helps to smooth out the flavor. This is a bold smoke, best enjoyed after a nice meal with a nice libation."
Um. Yep. That's my experience. Dead on.
My last bowl of it today was on a balcony overlooking palominos grazing between me an a vineyard, drinking Irish coffee. Slightly buzzed. Perfectly complementary. Sun setting. Perfect.
A blue-collar blend. Goes good with my coffee. Irish or otherwise.
I miss my Newminister 403 right now, but that's a completely other thing. This War Horse by The Standard Tobacco Team is a new addition to my regular go-to tobaccos. It's unique, and fills a void.
Is it available yet for purchase, or do I have to invent more catastrophes, play off Dan's generosity a while longer? (Because I WILL. Definitely, I will.).
:)
Joe Pups

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Oops. Too many Irish coffees. I see typos now, dang it. And ... maybe the shred post doesn't belong here.
So... bar... how will that compare to this shred?

May 31, 2012
I was also reminded of Prince Albert when smoking that new readyrubbed stuff,

it has a classic American flavor profile.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/ribbon-v-flake-and-plug-in-nic-hit#post-841278

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Troy, maybe I need to simplify the message for you.

I've posted all of this previously:
1. Our licensee, the US subsidiary of the Scandinavian Tobacco Group, was planning to produce the War Horse plugs at Orlick. The EU Tobacco Policy Directive (TPD) regulations, however, have forced Orlick to stop taking on new projects until the dust settles. It is a fact that because of the TPD, EU producers are cutting brands and blends. Estimates run high on the number of blends that will vanish forever. This is the bleeding edge of the Pipe Tobacco Apocalypse.
2. As in the EU, US regulators are about to drop a bomb on the pipe tobacco industry. This was supposed to have happened in July, but has been delayed as the FDA fine tunes their message. These impending FDA regs will ban the introduction of new blends and brands. If we do not get product on the market NOW, we risk losing the ability to use the War Horse brand forever.
3. Our brands will now be produced at Lane Ltd. in Tucker, Ga. They are enthusiastic about the project, but did not have the equipment on hand to press plugs. They are changing that. They are buying equipment expressly for manufacturing War Horse Bar.
4. We are in a race against the clock, between a rock and a hard place. We have a lot of time, money and sweat equity tied up in this project. I am more than willing to do whatever is necessary to keep the War Horse dream alive, including introducing a widely acclaimed, wonderfully unique, if less powerful, ready cut blend under the WH marque, in order to preserve the ultimate goal of producing a faithful plug. Understand this concept, Troy. It's not a difficult one: We can't make a plug today, but we're preserving the ability to make one later.
5. We don't need anyone nipping at our heels with repetitious insults to get us to do the right thing. We're motivated by success. This train has left the station. Our John Cotton's and Bengal Slices blends prove the concept cold. You were sent samples of those blends. Did you try them?
If you want to dig your heels in a whine about it not being a perfect world, be my guest. The story of The Standard Tobacco Company of Pennsylvania however, and our grand slam successes with bringing John Cotton's and Bengal Slices to market tells a much more optimistic story: In a time of great uncertainty in the tobacco world, three guys with a dream and some chutzpah can join hands with a phenomenal community of vintage tobacco lovers, a blender with exceptional vision and talent, and the world's largest pipe tobacco company to resurrect faithful versions of blends once thought to be gone forever.
Yes, there are storm clouds on the horizon. History is about to be made. But here, in the waning days of The Golden Age of Pipe Tobacco, something wonderful is happening.
I like having something to celebrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.