PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Who cares! This apparently sainted name is about to carry the colors to a new generation of smokers. I am looking forward to my first taste. I usually keep my expectations low about everything that is new to me. Having never been exposed to the old "Horse" I'll not be able to trust old, faded and sometimes faulty memories to make comparisons.
"War Horse Plug" will be a new experience to me. The "old plug", pun intended, was totally unknown to me. I'm hoping the new steed is a hard charging, flavorful blend that will stand on its own four legs, snorting Latakia and sweating Orientals!
I'm standing by the stable door, saddle in hand, awaiting the arrival of the new critter with the proud heritage. I'm expecting some crow hopping, maybe a fast break from the chute followed by a big twisting jump in the air with the first light. I expect the first ride to be exhilarating and hope not to be dissappointed.

May 31, 2012
You're not alone Warren,

most Americans don't care.
It's easy to pull the wool over their eyes.
Ask an Irishman, an Englishman, or a Scotsman who were familiar with this stuff though,

and you'd get a response much like the one that I'm positing.

:puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My warning to you is that if you defend and tolerate idiocy, you will get more of it... a gradual slide.
That is a harsh way describe the efforts of a passionate group of pipe smokers and tobacco fans.
To me, idiocy is defending the memory of a blend that almost no one here has ever smoked (fresh War Horse bars).

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Nothing like continuing to beat the proverbial dead horse... no pun intended. The problem with "the response that you are positing" is simply the repetitive nature of it. It's like the subway that goes by my house... eventually I don't hear it anymore because it's just white noise.
Hey, Troy... have you tried any of the new John Cotton blends?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
That is a harsh way describe the efforts of a passionate group of pipe smokers and tobacco fans.
That's not what I did. I described one of their decisions that way and analogized to a general tendency.
Inferior substitutes replacing originals is a trend, but it always backfires through damage to the brand.
Brands are worth money. Not just directly, but in people wanting to try them.
It's important to remember that no matter how good the intentions of those involved, error is error and should be criticized.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Troy: I am a wee bit Irish and as such would never seek the opinion of an Englishman, excepting on Gin and "takeout" curry. Historical and hysterical writings indicate that this is not the best option for an Irishman, we were led down the primrose path too many times for seven hundred years or so.
Next time on the Island I will search high and low in the West to find someone who remembers the "old Horse." If his back is bent from cutting sod or building stone fences, with an old, hand worn, pipe in his jaw, I'll have a certain of respect for his opinion. I'll smile at his age worn reflections and be happy that he has those memories. Then I'll cut a bit off my plug and let him try the "new Horse."

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
death: Objective criticism is one thing. A screed is another.
Each of us likes to think our opinion is important to others, carries weight, perhaps may even change someone's position in an argument. It's doubtful that this happens with regularity. This is especially true with free advice and opinions. We enjoy running them up the flagpole to see if anyone salutes. Most of my opinions, unsolicited as they are, seem to be acknowledged with a "one finger" salute.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Objective criticism is one thing. A screed is another.
That's a false distinction made on the basis of form, not content.
Most of my opinions, unsolicited as they are, seem to be acknowledged with a "one finger" salute.
That's unfortunate. I'm from the old school of gentlemanly conduct which permits intense disagreement without disparagement.
I find some of the comments here (not yours) to be disingenuous if not outright dishonest where people say something to the effect of, "These guys are trying to do something good, so any criticism of them is an attack on them personally, and therefore you are bad." That is the opposite of a productive discussion.
That mentality leads to a reduction in the ability to discern objectivity, which as noted above is a type of content and not a form.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Inferior substitutes replacing originals is a trend, but it always backfires through damage to the brand.
Brands are worth money. Not just directly, but in people wanting to try them.
It's important to remember that no matter how good the intentions of those involved, error is error and should be criticized.
I would think that it would be in everyone's best interest--especially those who insist upon being critical of STP and their efforts--to wait until the bar is actually released. Pretty difficult to claim that a product is an inferior substitute when it's not even here yet.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I would think that it would be in everyone's best interest--especially those who insist upon being critical of STP and their efforts--to wait until the bar is actually released.
As I recall, people are discussing the plan and hoping to influence it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
As for the Standard Tobby version,

I have smoked some and find it to be a pale, pathetic clumsy attempt of imitation, not even touching upon the original.
An original that you HAVE NOT PERSONALLY SMOKED. You have no skin in the game. You have not put thousands of dollars of your own money into analysis of the original to discover its components. You have not spent thousands of dollars on materials to run test batch after test batch and to have sought out dozens of smokers, if not many more, to test out the product. You are not spending thousands of dollars to test out the additional processes and build the machinery that will be requited to create the actual bar.
You have carried on an ill-intentioned vendetta against a product about which you have no direct experience, characterized the people behind it in the most unfavorable way, questioned their ethics, without actually having tasted either the original bar or their attempt to recreate that bar, since it doesn't yet exist, which constitutes the absolute definition of an IGNORANT argument. And you persist in this IGNORANT campaign.
I've thought of you as one of the crown jewels of this site, but with every post that you make in this direction that regard plummets.
As for the rest of you arm chair quarterbacks, go out there and make something happen yourselves, and then you can come back and pass judgements that might be worth consideration. Since the announcement of this product line there has been no end of sniping by the envious, the small, jealous. It is disgusting.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
You have no skin in the game. You have not put thousands of dollars of your own money into analysis of the original to discover its components. You have not spent thousands of dollars on materials to run test batch after test batch and to have sought out dozens of smokers, if not many more, to test out the product. You are not spending thousands of dollars to test out the additional processes and build the machinery that will be requited to create the actual bar.
Having skin in the game is important, but investment alone should not shield anyone from criticism.
If that's the case, we should never criticize a larger corporation like GM for shipping a bad product.
As for the rest of you arm chair quarterbacks, go out there and make something happen yourselves, and then you can come back and pass judgements that might be worth consideration. Since the announcement of this product line there has been no end of sniping by the envious, the small, jealous. It is disgusting.
Not any more so than the "Mother Theresa defense"...

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Having skin in the game is important, but investment alone should not shield anyone from criticism.
If that's the case, we should never criticize a larger corporation like GM for shipping a bad product.
Which would be a valid argument IF the product - the bar had been delivered. It has not. This is a Kangaroo Court.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Which would be a valid argument IF the product - the bar had been delivered. It has not.
I don't agree, since we're talking about direction here, and a version of the product has already been delivered, at least to reviewers.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I'm of the older school where "caning" or, in the case a particularly spurious attack, a duel with the gentleman across the aisle was a respected response. That said, those days are most certainly gone. I try to exert a modicum of self-control when on the forum keeping with the spirit of Kevin's rules.
I know this will offend the sensibilities of some of the members. Some of us/you may not be in the demographic being targeted by Standard Tobacco Company of Pennsylvania when it comes to "War Horse." Perhaps they are looking beyond the small membership here. I do know that any publicity, even negative, is a positive for business.
Brands can indeed have value or, as in Edsel, have none. "War Horse" has value. Standard Tobacco now owns the marque and is attempting to trade on that value. Will they succeed? Time will tell. "War Horse" will either stand on its own merits or stumble and fall. Some here will gleefully say "I told you so." Others will mourn the failure.
I would be with the latter group as taking such a risk, as our intrepid trio is doing, should be rewarded with some degree of success. It happens so rarely that simply taking the risk, shouldering the debt, and doing the hard work merits applause from the peanut gallery. The end result may be disappointing but, that doesn't diminish the effort as some here would try to do.
ONE MORE TIME: Standard owns the marque, they can do with it as they choose.
Gee! This is so much fun on a dreary Alaskan morning. Stimulating also.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Then we will agree to disagree. It's not the product under attack. That product doesn't yet exist. Comparing apple to oranges and saying that they're the same doesn't make it so.
As for Mother Teresa, she may have been a somewhat unpleasant person, in person, but she chose to do something more with her life than pick pubes out of her teeth.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
I don't agree, since we're talking about direction here, and a version of the product has already been delivered, at least to reviewers.
Incorrect, no version of the War Horse Bar has been delivered to anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.