PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
2v2JtYLTMx3L6Bn.jpg
On occasion, I like to go down the old cellar steps and peruse my pipe tobacco collection. Today, I was motivated by P&C's bulk sale and the fact that the perennially absent Anniversary Kake was back in stock again. Now, I don't have the best memory in the world, so I'm often pleasantly surprised by what I find down there. Lo and behold, the first tote that I opened was full of McClelland tins.
2v2JtYLSzx3L6Bn.jpg
This stuff added up over the years!
2v2JtYLm8x3L6Bn.jpg
There we go...I knew that I had some of this somewhere. I think that there's still a sealed Mylar bag of even more, somewhere.
2v2JtYLC5x3L6Bn.jpg
Ah, Elusive Destiny. I smoked a good bit of this back when I was just getting into Russ's work. I wanted to resample it before ordering more.
2v2JtYLVox3L6Bn.jpg
A few years in the cellar hasn't done it any harm, that's for certain.
2v2JtYL4jx3L6Bn.jpg
So, now I see that Anniversary Kake is backordered, once again.......sigh.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!
My mouth, she's a waterin'. :clap:

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Beautiful!
I only had Anniversary when I began my pipe hobby, and I thought it tasted sickly sweet and grapey to me. I wanted to revisit it now that I am more settled in my likes and dislikes, but was afraid I'd not like it again. Is it somewhat aromatic, or was that just my untrained palate?

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Like you..I often gaze lovingly at my cellar, glad I started a cellar back in 13. Called yesterday and got a pound of Anniversary Kake. Was hoping to just cellar it, but I remember that it was really good, so I'll have to put a couple ounces in a jar for daily rotation. My daily rotation consists of about 60 small jars sitting on two bookcases. Always a battle to see what I want this time, but never disappointed.

Everything now has about 5 years age on it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Well, there's the Perique. But other than that, I don't detect any overt flavorings. It is a bit sweet, but well-balanced. I just find it to be a rich, full and naturally aromatic enjoyment. Of course, this one has some age on it.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
What a fine cellar!
I think the biggest danger in cellaring is that the habit becomes so strong that it precludes smoking, particularly when the blend gets more than 5 years. It's as if the special effects produced by age are thought to be infinite, and thus not to be interrupted until a special occasion arises which in my life never seems to come. Thus I have a half-dozen blends with 15-20 years.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Saltedplug, that is very, very true. I fully intend to start enjoying this jar of Anniversary Kake NOW. And if you happen to show up at Thursday's Christopher Morley Pipe Club meeting, you can enjoy some, too!

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
You should raffle off some tickets.
I'd buy a chance to wander in your cellar....
But remember, the first rule of pipe club is we DON"T talk about PIPE CLUB!
fight-club-600x300.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I thought you weren't supposed to mention "pipe club"!!
What a conundrum, Dan. What to smoke next?? Something primo with 5 years on it or one with 10??
Fine foto foray!

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I've been wandering around my Cellar(s) lately, but that's because we've bought a new house. So I've been boxing up the tins, jars and bags, then transporting them via SUV. Since the new house has more than double my current space, I've put up some shelving racks, and am thinking about the best way to stack everything in some kind of order other than chronological.
hp

les

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Les, I have a rather unique system for storing and retrieving my cellared samples. I believe that I have sufficient room to incorporate your collection, if that would be a suitable solution to your quandary.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Thank God you have the requisite FVF photographed. That is street cred.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Gosh, nice cellar. This is why pipe smoking is a hobby for a lifetime. Memories, collections, and experiences really build up in years!

Status
Not open for further replies.