PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Ok here’s a slightly off-topic question for woods and others - where inside the house do you keep your cellar bins? I have a few plastic bins like this now as well but heat fluctuations concerned me a little bit since it gets really hot in California . The garage is out because it gets incredibly hot . I’m trying to clear some space in upstairs closet that centered more in the center of the house where the temperature doesn’t change that much ...anyone have input ?
Great post and pictures Woods!

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
That is a nice little cellar you have going on there Dan. Imagine a world where your cellar is so deep you forget you have a tub full of McClellands. You could have bought a small island with that on eBay a little while ago!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Ok here’s a slightly off-topic question for woods and others - where inside the house do you keep your cellar bins?

I have a shower that is not in use, so I keep my stash in the tub, stacked in bins, with the curtain closed. Works great. Fortunately, I also have an actual cellar in my man cave that was custom built for pipe tobacco.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great looking cellar. I have recently gone through mine looking for specific things. I finally found my stashes of 2002 Solani 633 and my 2006 SG Best Brown flake. Sometimes I just forget what I have.
Les, I pity you. I cannot imagine the pain in the ass it must be for you to move all your tobacco. I would hire someone if I were you and make them give you a detailed spread sheet of where everything is.

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
Ice cellar for sure and those labs are beautiful too! I had a yellow and black lab that were awesome. They hunted with me, swam with me, fished with me and even slept in my bed. Had to put my black lab to rest nearly three years ago at 12 years old due to cancer and had to put my yellow lab to rest last year just before Memorial Day due to seizures at over 14 years old. I miss those girls every day.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Bigtex, sorry about your pups, they just don't live long enough, do they? We were fortunate to inherit a fantastic black Lab/Golden Retriever mix when we bought this house from an estate. He was the last owner's dog. He would roam freely, and everyone in a 3-mile radius of the house knew him. After he died (at age 17) we went dogless for a couple of years. We just didn't want to go through that loss again.
Then these girls came along. They are are sweet animals. Tula and Zara are sisters from the same litter, now 8 years old. They take me for a 3 mile walk every morning. My Health and Happiness dogs.
Where do I keep my cellar? In the cellar, naturally. Our house was built on the foundation of a very old barn. 2' thick stone walls. Temps are fairly stable down there, at least the changes are gradual. Humidity is kept at around 50% with the help of a commercial-grade dehumidifier and a couple of fans to keep the air flowing.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
UPDATE:
I finally went looking through some of my bulk today, and managed to find that 5100 that's been at large. I knew that I had some, somewhere...
2v2Jq3C68x3L6Bn.jpg
It seems that I just vacuum-sealed the entire 4 pounds of it in one bag. What was I thinking?

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
What were you thinking? You thought you'd share it with your forum buddies!
Funny, but tasty, coincidence I just opened a jar of 5 year old 5100. It's divine! :puffy:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Will this stuff hold up once I open the bag? I've heard weird stories of aged tobacco turning into desert sand in the blink of an eye once it hits fresh air. Never saw it happen, though.

witchofthehollow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2018
About 8 months ago I opened a tin of 2000 Mcclelland #24 that my dad gave me. Smoked a bowl and jarrred the rest . I’ve dipped into it seversl times since then and it’s been just as good every time. The notion that you have to smoke an old tin within two weeks after opening is hogwash in my opinion. But that’s just me...! I’ll beg that 5100 is incredible. Pat your former self on the back for cellaring 4 pounds of it!!

witchofthehollow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2018
Also Look at those plastic bins stacked up!! Some of you boys have ALOT of tobacco saved up hee hee

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Awesome post and pictures. Your McClelland tub is a thing of beauty and is a perfect example of why a cellar is important. Their departure from the market definitely caught me off guard, just as I was gaining an idea of what I really wanted in my cellar.
Just recently took a notebook and pen and did my own "walk" through the cellar. It's good to get reacquainted - helps me focus the shopping cart.

Status
Not open for further replies.