PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
McCranie's Red Ribbon is marketed as being from a vintage crop,

http://www.mccranies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5
I'm sure there are other examples as well.
This was fairly common in the past too, here's one from Ogden's,

myqRpyY.jpg

A really great read covering this topic can be found in this pdf:

https://app.box.com/s/oulxnfvdud1rhni4tjqq

A Pipeman's Handbook of Really Useful Information

compiled by Charles Mundungus.
On aged tobacco in general, my reasons for seeking it out has a lot to do with the romantic past, a desire to sample some of the famous offerings from Scotland, Ireland and England - you can't get 'em fresh no more, so ifya wanna smoke 'em they're gonna be old.
I'm such a sucker for the patina and glow of antique litho tins that I had to set a barrier to myself or I'd find myself with an empty wallet - I will only buy old tins if they still have baccy in 'em.
Some of those old tins have been terrible - Gallaher's Rich Dark Honeydew, Larus Edgeworth, Savory's Baby's Bottom and Dobie's Mixture No. 7, all gave less than stellar results --- but late-60's Balkan Sobranie, 1949 Thomson & Porteous Scots Cake, St. Bruno and Murray's-era 965 have given some divine smokes.
btw

...about that 1949 Scots Cake, I just opened it last week and sent out samples to about 10 different forum members, next week I'll post a thread and everyone will chime in on their impressions, it should be interesting to see the different interpretations.
And, I agree that indeed some tobaccos are just better fresh.

It also depends on the individual and their palate as well.

Smoking old tobacco has helped educate my palate and has seemed to enhance my abilities to enjoy recently made stuff, as hokey as it sounds, it really is like a journey, the development of my palate has been an incredible work-in-progress, I have a long way to go in the fine-tuning dept, but I've been amazed at the evolution of what I can taste and the different profiles that I've experienced, and how my overall enjoyment seems to grow by each and every day!

:puffy:

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
It also depends on the individual and their palate as well.
That's it in a nutshell. One man's muddiness is another man's nirvana.
McClellend's Christmas cheer is aged for 5 years before it's put out every year in a limited run
Actually it varies. Christmas Cheer can be as young as 4 years and as old as 10 ten years before it's tinned.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I personally love the taste of aged tobacco so I age mine. I only age VA, Vaper and Vabur flakes as that is all I smoke and for my money they get so much better a decade down the road. One example is Orlik Golden Sliced, I really dislike it fresh as it has a real grassy flavor that I find totally off putting. I have one last tin from 1997 and the last one I cracked in the summer of 2012 was sublime. The grassy component was gone and I was left with fig and raisin flavors that I loved. I have numerous other examples of aged tins that are over a decade old and every one of them I enjoy aged over their fresh counterparts, even a couple of years makes a big difference to me.
I also finished my cellar for economic and political reasons. Tobacco will never be cheaper than it is now and with new laws coming like the fact that you cannot order pipe tobacco into states like Washington and Wisconsin, I see that as our future and if I had to pay Florida prices with their 85% wholesale tax, I would not buy tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.