PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like matches as part of the ritual of pipe smoking. Matches emphasize the somewhat ritualistic aspect of a tobacco pipe. I like the sound of striking a match and the rhythm and timing a match requires. I enjoy reverting to the 19th Century for pipe smoking purposes. Slow down, savor the moment. Efficiency isn't always all it's cracked up to be.

damianmonk

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2015
I started using matches after my lighter emptied. And I'm absolutely loving how I can get the flame deep inside my bowl without having to suck deeply or being afraid of heating up my bowl too much.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Another proof of me being from a different part of the world. I only use matches, pack of 10 boxes costs almost $0.20 here. Mostly imported from Russia or Belarus. Here is the picture of some matches I use regularly that will take you back to USSR period.
7S2GVKA.jpg

chapu

Lurker
Nov 1, 2015
Thanks a lot, Michael! Good thing I asked around here before buying, I dodged a bullet there :lol:
I concur with mso, there's something charming about matches. Of course they may be inconvenient on windy days, but still I wouldn't change them for lighters. Plus I read somewhere a bit about the burning temperature being lower than butane which should supposedly help maintaining the proper temperature on pipes.
Those match boxes are great, jvnshr! Here's a pic of the two biggest brands (owned by the same company) here in Argentina: "Tres Patitos" (literally "Three little ducks") and "Fragata" ("Frigate", which used to sport a drawing of a big vessel, until some marketing genius decided to replace it with those horrible stars...)
QVIotZM.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've been using bee's wax coated hemp twine. I light it with a torch butane...psst...it's lit...and then I have all day to play with fire. That is...I don't have to be concerned about the match burning short. I can just pull more of the twine out of a jar I use...great for those deep Freehand relights, too.

Outside, not so much in the wind. Phil67 sent me a neat bic holder with a place to spool the twine. I use that on the road.

freki

Lurker
Dec 7, 2015
I generally have used any matches that are on hand, little paper book matches or box matches. I've also been known to use an ember from the fire with a clay during my re-enacting days. Never really liked lighters for a pipe, it just didn't feel "right" to me.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I have used matches since my college days.
Still do and it is the green-headed ones from the grocery store. I have used the SVs, but they are just too costly on my retiree's budget these days.
Matches are cool to both tobacco and pipe. I also like them for the ritual (thanks mso).
I had a philosophy prof in college who smoked his pipe in class. He used matches.
Sitting in the back of the classroom with the other dummies, we would take bets on when the prof would burn his fingers as he lectured, lit, puffed, lit again, while inching his fingers up the match.
It was great fun and a fine ritual to watch.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I typically use matches for initial light, then a Bic for followup. If I'm out and about, it's a Bic. Too much hassle trying to get a match to light.
For me, the benefit of a Bic is the controlled flame, which you do not get with a Zippo, IMO. Less chance of messing up those pretty rims.

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
  • http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/10203/image-150x112.jpg
    I've used these matches with great success. Available here in Texas at HEB. The matches are short, burn well, but be aware that when they go out the head will fall off, so be careful that it doesn't fall in your lap!

Status
Not open for further replies.