PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
H.E.B. huh? Great. My wife will be in SA next week. I think I'll have her stop and get me some so I can try them out. I've also used the green-tipped matches, not sure what brand, and they burn way too quickly. Thanks simnettpratt

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
I usually just use a pipe lighter, but occasionally use matches for the initial light under the (possibly mistaken) assumption that the lower flame temperature will provide a little cooler start to the smoke. I generally only bother with this when I know the tobacco is a fussy burner or if I'm trying extra hard to accurately taste-test a new blend. It seems to help a little, but I may just be imagining it. If I need to relight I just use the lighter, as angling a match halfway down the bowl is awkward.
As for brands, I've used many fancy and not-so-fancy matches in the past. At the moment, I just use the big Greenlight kitchen matches so many others do. They seem perfectly adequate at only $1 for a 300 count box.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Ay home I use the "diamond greenlight" paper book matches. Out and about it's Bic or Zippo Pipe Lighter...

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
Speaking of lighters... I've gotta say, I like the Clipper and Bic brand lighters a lot more than I do my Zippo w/insert which is disappointing due to the cost. The Zippo maintains it's flame better in the presence of wind, but it never seems to keep my pipe lit. I swear, I must go through half of the fuel in one piping session because the flame never wants to take. You can hold it over the bowl and torch half your tobacco with your initial lighting puffs, but as soon as you move it away it goes out. It makes no sense to me. The Clipper and Bic I rarely have to relight with once the flame takes so I doubt it's my technique but who knows. They have way less maintenance and are cheaper as well.
You guys listed all kinds of match brands! I'm surprised there are so many unique sounding ones out there. I'll be sure to check out hardware and dollar stores in my area and see if they have a larger selection than the grocer's. Hopefully I can find some of what's been mentioned. I'll update if I find a winner.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
Oh, before I forget!
One of my buddies was telling me that he found out he could use the file part of his multi-tool or jackknife to light a match when the striker on the box was worn out. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems like a good tip.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
newbroom "I can remember when Diamond matches were made in Jaffery NH."

That is back before corporate raider, Ivar Kreuger bought out their undervalued stock. They had millions of acres of timber which they had acquired through mergers and acquisitions from as far back as the 1880's. For the low price of a match manufacturing plant the raiders made untold millions.The new tips ore compliments of your government looking out for your best interest. :cry:

Ya gotta love people like that. NOT!!!! :oops:

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I'm not fond of the green matches-- my opinion is that they don't work as well as other matches. Iwan Ries sells some pretty good matches for a reasonable price. Not as good as the Swan Vestas, but a darn sight cheaper. Why use matches at all? For one thing, they burn slightly cooler than naphtha (Zippo fuel,) and over 1000°C cooler than butane. Of course, the coolest of all is the beeswax impregnated hemp twine, which I often use, keeping a smokers candle burning nearby. Lighting your pipe with a soft (read "cooler") flame is better for the tobacco, and less likely to scorch the pipe itself.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I use my lighter to relight the Swans or whatever long matches I have :D. In the summer I use the bug candle that is setting on the deck to relight them. Could not ever get the hang of lighting my pipes with a lighter and not getting a scorch.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I've gotten to the point of only using matches when I'm smoking indoors at the B&M - it's just too dang windy in Colorado otherwise. My Zippo has become my go-to lighter, as it's dead reliable (as long as I keep it topped off). Even the butane pipe lighters have a tendency to succumb to the wind out here...
As for the matches, my B&M usually has a few books of their own scattered about the lounge area, and I keep a box or two of the small Greenlights in my pipe bag, though I prefer the larger kitchen matches. Haven't found any of the old "strike anywhere" style matches locally.
At the risk of sliding into Rule #6 territory, Safety matches (as opposed to Strike Anywhere) were developed fairly early on (1880's) in response to a couple of issues. One was the problem of entire boxes of matches igniting through friction - which is why SA matches are still classified as "dangerous goods" and banned by airlines. The other was the problem of health issues among the workers in match factories who had to handle the white phosphorus in the match heads - listen to any lecture on Victorian-era maladies, and you'll hear about "Phossy Jaw", which was common among match factory workers. If businesses won't watch out for the best interests of their customers and employees, sometimes governments are forced to... The trick is striking the proper balance.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
@Warren Lol! :rofl:
@Phred That's really interesting. I never realized that a whole box could ignite at once or that there would be side effects to phosphorus like that.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Matches? What are these matches that you all speak of? :mrgreen:
I have the Diamond Greenlight wooden kitchen matches as well. I don't really care for them and use the matches I get from the cigar shops when I choose to use matches. Those seem to work better, but 95% of the time I'm using my Bic lighter. Its just easier.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The large Diamond matches I buy at Wal-Mart are uniformly of only fair quality, both red and green tipped. The strikers wear out too quickly, but the biggest problem I have is the lit tips falling on my hands, etc, while lighting.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
I also use the Diamond green tipped matches. I buy them in a pack of 3 boxes of 300 at the local Kroger for about $2.50. Once a pipe is well broken in I'll use a butane lighter occasionally but I only use matches with a new pipe until it is well broken in. I prefer matches and only use a lighter if I am out of them, matches seem to have a gentler, cooler, and more controllable flame. I have Zippos but I don't use them because I can always taste the lighter fluid.

chapu

Lurker
Nov 1, 2015
Hey there, mates! I've been using matches for a long time, even before switching to pipes, as I find that butane lighters tend to leave a taste in my tobacco that I don't really care for. And don't get me started on the taste of Zippos... :P
Anyway, I have a question I thought would be appropriate for this thread. As I said I always light with matches. Here in Argentina, at least in Buenos Aires where I live, the only kind of matches you can get are the red-headed, wooden safety ones. Recently I've seen those new green-headed, and even some brighter red ones, but I don't like any of those because I perceive a stronger smell of sulfur in them. But I found a guy in our local version of Ebay selling some boxes of old wax matches. It's a brand that dissapeared from here years ago, but I remember them from when I was younger. Apparently it's some stock he has left, and they are in perfect condition. My question is: does anybody here have any experience lighting their pipes with waxed paper matches instead of the common wooden stick ones? Any commentary about differences in taste or something like that? I'd appreciate the input before buying bulk and finding out post-facto that they are unsuitable for pipe smoking :?

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I use standard wood matches from the grocery store. The paper ones are harder to light and go out really quickly. Chapu, I recommend you stick with wood.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I would, too, especially if you are sensitive to butane. The wax may be worse.
However, if the tip of the flame is held above the tobacco, then drawn down by breath to light, I've discerned no taste of butane and rarely via a Zippo. I use wooden matches from my favorite restaurant and Bics.

Status
Not open for further replies.