PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

churchlady

Lurker
Mar 15, 2024
Alabama
Welcome from Slidell, LA.
Like Cosmic said, if you are in the Birmingham area, you should definitely visit The Briary. I stop by there at least once a year when traveling. Skip has a good selection of pipes and the best selection of tinned pipe tobacco I've ever seen at a brick & mortar store.

And the Churchlady should by a churchwarden pipe.

I really want a churchwarden as the part of me that isn't a church lady is a hobbit. Any you'd suggest?

Mar 8, 2024
Alaska
I mostly wanted to say thank y'all to everyone. I've only been smoking a pipe for less than a month, but I've found so much information on this forum that has helped me already.

I've always liked the smell of pipe tobacco and cigars and have been curious about smoking in general, but until recently I guess I just assumed that A. they were all bad for you B. dude things, and C. something my husband would give me serious side eye about. Well, B was a pretty accurate assumption, but at this point my husband is actually sending me out on the porch after supper. Wonderful how even a short pipe break can get me back in the game.

I started with a couple of cheap MMs and recently bought a no name briar off of ebay. The learning curve is still curving (tongue bite lingering as I write), but overall I think I'm improving slowly.

As for myself - I've been married for close to 20years; we've got a bunch of kids, and some weeks I do feel like I'm at church every time the doors are open!
Welcome from Alaska! Good to see a you on the forum. My lady friend wants to try smoking with me but she is embarrassed cause she isn’t sure if it would be proper for a lady. Im gonna tell her about you next time I talk to her!

• Love
Reactions: churchlady

churchlady

Lurker
Mar 15, 2024
Alabama
Welcome from Alaska! Good to see a you on the forum. My lady friend wants to try smoking with me but she is embarrassed cause she isn’t sure if it would be proper for a lady. Im gonna tell her about you next time I talk to her!
Do! I had similar concerns, but I figured that I could smoke a pipe for my own enjoyment and still be ladylike about it. There are also historic photos and videos of women smoking pipes, and some of them have absolutely elegant pipes. Women may never have been the majority of pipe smokers, but there were definitely plenty of women who did it in very classy and elegant ways.

Personally I've been going for smaller pipes with less visual mass both for aesthetics and for practical purposes. A 45-60min smoke is easier for me to manage daily than 90min.

churchlady

Lurker
Mar 15, 2024
Alabama
Welcome from SE Texas. In what part of Alabama do you live? I live in Texas now but was born and raised (most of my youth anyway) in Mobile.
I'm close to Birmingham. I've been to Mobile a couple of times. It's a beautiful area. We really enjoyed seeing some of the historic homes and such.