PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

churchlady

Lurker
Mar 15, 2024
Alabama
I mostly wanted to say thank y'all to everyone. I've only been smoking a pipe for less than a month, but I've found so much information on this forum that has helped me already.

I've always liked the smell of pipe tobacco and cigars and have been curious about smoking in general, but until recently I guess I just assumed that A. they were all bad for you B. dude things, and C. something my husband would give me serious side eye about. Well, B was a pretty accurate assumption, but at this point my husband is actually sending me out on the porch after supper. Wonderful how even a short pipe break can get me back in the game.

I started with a couple of cheap MMs and recently bought a no name briar off of ebay. The learning curve is still curving (tongue bite lingering as I write), but overall I think I'm improving slowly.

As for myself - I've been married for close to 20years; we've got a bunch of kids, and some weeks I do feel like I'm at church every time the doors are open!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Welcome from Slidell, LA.
Like Cosmic said, if you are in the Birmingham area, you should definitely visit The Briary. I stop by there at least once a year when traveling. Skip has a good selection of pipes and the best selection of tinned pipe tobacco I've ever seen at a brick & mortar store.

And the Churchlady should by a churchwarden pipe.

Reactions: churchlady

churchlady

Lurker
Mar 15, 2024
Alabama
Welcome.

"Well, B was a pretty accurate assumption…"
Unfortunately, A was spot-on as well.
Congratulations on miscalculating C.

In this instance, 2 out of 3 is not bad.
The more reading I've done about tobacco and nicotine the less I'm convinced that it's actually dangerous - or at the very least any more dangerous than any of the medications that are readily prescribed for depression/anxiety/adhd/etc.

I had just gotten my pipe when we jumped into a really busy/stressful week, and my husband has amazed that I came out the other side so calm. If stress kills that I figure I'm probably staying on the right side of the equation with my pipe a day routine.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I think most of us find it very calming. Personally I think its more the process and experience more than the chemicals. If I dont smoke a pipe I dont jones for nicotine. I do miss the reflective time.

Reactions: churchlady

churchlady

Lurker
Mar 15, 2024
Alabama
Depending on where you are in Alabama, you need to at least drop in to the Briary in Homewood. Tell Skip that I sent you. In all of my travels and visiting pipe shops, I haven't found one that rivals The Briary at all. Skip can hook you up.
Thanks! I actually found them from lurking here and managed to swing by one day. That must be what men feel like a fabric store 😆

They were really nice though, so I'm sure I'll be back at some point.