PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Hi everyone, curious what options people like for non flavored blends with pleasing or even aromatic room notes? I like Peterson 965 but was wondering what other blends others would recommend?
965 does not have a very pleasant room note to most people. Tastes vary of course.
Straight virginias smell nice. Va/pers less so, but they're not terrible.
Try Peterson Flake for a nice, sweet smell of tobacco.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
tobacco smells great. Though surprisingly one of the ones that people often compliment the smell of is Key Largo by Gregory Pease (not including the L until he tells me what it stands for, could be Limba for all I know). Then Yorktown less surprisingly gets compliments too. But asking about best room note is like asking about best tasting pipe tobacco, depends on who you ask.

Reactions: ofafeather

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you are looking for blends that won't offend onlookers (or on-sniffers more likely) but don't want some cloying flavoring that obscures the tobacco flavor, I would include in consideration some of the rum, bourbon, or brandy aromatics that are altogether tobacco forward but still have a room sweetener. GLP Barbary Coast with brandy behaves nicely this way, or Sir Walter Raleigh with its burley base, Virginia condiment, and flavoring with three liqueurs.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Pretty much any VA will give you that. These days I'm hitting Sutliff 507C VA Slices pretty hard, so that certainly comes to mind. I'll second @ofafeather and say that OGS and Peterson Univ. Flake are both winners in that department as well. I find C&D Eight State Burley to be a pretty pleasant offering, ditto Mac Baren Golden Extra.

Those are just a few. I'd wear my fingers down to the bone trying to type every blend that qualified. How the hell would I smoke my pipe then? puffy

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
Because I do not smoke indoors, i do not know a lot about room note, but I do think that the smell of burning tobacco depends a lot on how it is burning. Even an unscented and unflavored burley can smell really good when it is barely smouldering, with almost no visible smoke rising from the bowl. And even an aromatic can smell harsh when it's pushed to making big clouds of smoke. And when I smell someone else's pipe--almost always outdoors, nowadays--when it smells really good, it's not the aro smell, but the smell of a barely smouldering tobacco that's pleasing to me.

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
I'm not really a virginia guy but C&D Elegant Series After Hours Flake gets good responses from my youngest son. When I was smoking Gawith Hoggarth Brown Flake A he said that it reminded him of Christmas time. When I smoke Prince Albert and Pegasus both my sons say it reminds them of "Dad".

Reactions: suamrai61